XP SP3 migration to Mountain Lion

Reaction score
I have run Migration Assistant "apparently" successfully - or that is what my systems tell me, but I cannot find anything on my MAC.
Files transferred were Firefox bookmarks, Outlook Express address books, MS Office items, pictures, spreadsheets, and so on.
I understood that the Assistant would park each file in the appropriate MAC directory for use by MAC equivalent software.

Can anyone tell me how I can find the files and how to access them, please.
Richard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming that you used the Windows Migration Assistant? If so, did you read the knowledge base article by Apple describing where your data would be placed? You can read it here at this LINK.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you.
Yes, I did read that and thought I had understood it fully. You are correct that I used the Apple Windows Migration assistant.
I am mystified where things have gone. been looking at Finder, the applications, but without success.
Richard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think you've run into some confusion about where the data gets transferred to.

This note is important from the Windows Migration Assistant:

This process will create a new user account on your Mac that contains the data migrated from the Windows PC. It will not merge the information with any existing user accounts on your Mac.

Open your Finder and look for the user account created by the Windows Migration Assistant. This will be in addition to the account you created when you first turned on your new Mac.

OP
E
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct - I did not understand that point. I have now found the additional User Account and found all my documents.
I am so grateful for your expert experience. Once I have mastered a way of moving things from one user to another user I shall be well settled in.
Richard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.