New to Mac, HD question

Reaction score
Hi I just purchased a new MB Air. I have an external Western Digital MyBook hard drive from my PC that contains all my pictures and music. Will I be able to plug this hard drive into my MB and access all of its contents? Or do I need to purchase a MAC specific hard drive? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Assuming its formatted as NTFS you will be able to read all the files (but not write). If its FAT 32 then you'll be able to read and write to the drive

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And if it turns out to be formatted to NTFS, you can purchase "Paragon NTFS" which will allow you read and write access to the drive from your Mac. The application is $19.95 and well worth the cost.

Reaction score
And if it turns out to be formatted to NTFS, you can purchase "Paragon NTFS" which will allow you read and write access to the drive from your Mac. The application is $19.95 and well worth the cost.

+1 I had done that too. Highly recommended. (Should be part of the OS!)

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Do I need to purchase Paragon for every computer that will use the HD?

C

chas_m

Just to reiterate in case you missed it: if you're just READING the NTFS drive (ie copying stuff TO your Mac FROM the drive), there's no need to purchase anything.

Cheap man's method: copy everything on the drive to the Mac, reformat the drive to HFS, put stuff back and carry on with a Mac-compatible drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.