image resize and crop all in one go, can it be done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi had a task to do this morning that i struggled with, i hope to be far better equipped and/or prepared the next time i have to the same task again.

I had a photo 1280 by 960 pixels, in the centre of the picture was a dog, i was asked to crop the picture so that only the dog was in the picture and it had to be 6inches by 4inches when it was finished.

I thought easy crop it to a rectangular shape in Preview, and then resize it to 6" by 4" !!!.

I then found that making it fit on a 6by4 photo card it still wanted to crop the picture even more, of course i hadnt got exactly the correct size in pixels from Preview to start with !.

So i wonder is there an App that can give you the correct size in pixels when cropping in Preview, that will exactly convert to 6by4 inches when printed ?.

I visualise a kind of a 6" by 4" template of the correct proportions that i can use in Preview to Crop the photo to the correct proportions for printing.

Gee, i hope that makes sense, i know what i wanted to say, but maybe, just maybe, it didn't come out right.

Anyway does anyone have any ideas Please ?.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I've been impressed with Pixelmator - $15 USD in the Appstore
Pixelmator

But if you want to try something for free there is always Gimp
GIMP - Downloads

Probably the easiest way to do what you want is create a document - 6x4 inches. Then add your dog picture as a layer - and try get it in the 6x4 that is acceptable to you. Then crop it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere is also Seashore, which is based on GIMP

Seashore

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Thank you so much Lads for your help, you have heard of the saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink" ?, that probably fits in my predicament.

I have installed both of the (free) APP's you recommend AND i have even made a document page 6" by 4" in Pages .

But i have to hold my hand up and admit i just simply do not understand how to use ANY of them sufficiently enough to be able do exactly what i would like to do. I am truly hopeless, so i shall leave it on the back burner for a while and have another stab at it when i really have to do it again. LOL.

Thanks again for trying to help, at 66+ i am obviously past my best for a task like this.

Tim

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thank you so much Lads for your help, you have heard of the saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink" ?, that probably fits in my predicament.

I have installed both of the (free) APP's you recommend AND i have even made a document page 6" by 4" in Pages .

But i have to hold my hand up and admit i just simply do not understand how to use ANY of them sufficiently enough to be able do exactly what i would like to do. I am truly hopeless, so i shall leave it on the back burner for a while and have another stab at it when i really have to do it again. LOL.

Thanks again for trying to help, at 66+ i am obviously past my best for a task like this.

Tim

It's never too late to learn. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube that you could watch and follow along.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
It's never too late to learn. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube that you could watch and follow along.

HHmmmmm, Thanks for that buddy, i suppose i do need a bit of a push, i am often finding out how to PROPERLY use some of the "stuff" i have got, many years too late.

For example, now this will make you cringe i promise, i have only just found out that Air Conditioning in the car, IS NOT ONLY for the summer, it can also be used as a De-Humdifier in the Winter, there, can you believe that ?, hhhmmm on second thoughts perhaps you better not say !. LOL

You Tube here we come :)

PS better late than never, i have attatched the dammed picture, it is currently 1,000 pixels square, i need it to be portrait 6" high 4" wide, if anyone wants to take up the challenge ??? a bonus would be if someone could sort the eye out as well please.
PPS. it so happens my best mate and dog walking companion wants to give the picture as a kind of bereavement present !!!!, to the owner of this dog, which sadly got run over on christmas eve. perhaps you didnt really want to know that, sorry if it upsets anyone.

square.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well - you are part way there

You should be able to drag and drop your dog image to the canvas - it should put it as a layer. Then you should be able to manipulate it from there.

If you want to read about Gimp there is a great free book
Grokking the GIMP - Learning Advanced Image Editing Techniques

edit - everyone is faster than me apparently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
6x4 jpg from pixelmator

dog_6x4.jpg

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
6x4 jpg from pixelmator

Yeah, thanks for that buddy, with the good push you gave me, i simply dragged the photo into my 6by4 pages document and of course i could see easily what i had to do LOL.

Thanks again ALL OF YOU, I ONLY NEEDED A DAMMED GOOD PUSH ;)

TIM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.