Simple/consistent NAS adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I am trying to set up my external hd I use for time machine (which is currently connected to my laptop via usb) on the network to save plugging and unplugging it all of the time.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a network NAS adapter that plays well with Mac OSx. Currently my drive is formatted extended journaled. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive alternative to what I have now. Currently my cable router does not have a usb port which is why I am looking at the NAS adapters.

Any suggestions for reliable and ease of setup would be appreciated. Some of the tech reviews of the adapters I have seen so far are really mixed so it is hard to get a decent read on what works and what does not.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The cheapest way I can think of is an AirPort Extreme Base Station. Cost is about $180 and you can plug a USB HD into to share over your network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.