iPhone 4s no sim, can't access settings? HELP!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I bought an iphone 4s on ebay used that I was planning on using as an ipod and an occasional wifi phone (google voice or Skype) for around the house.

The problem is I've had the verizon version before and even if the phone wasn't activated I could still use the iphone to all of its capabilities aside from cell service. I believe this model is t-mobile or at&t and when I setup the phone it won't let me go past activation because there is no sim card.

By doing a few button tricks I was able to unlock the phone and see icons and scroll but I can't use any of the iphone functions. Again, I don't want to activate this phone, so how can I use this phone without a sim card?

I'm not even sure if this phone is at&t or t-mobile because I can't go into settings to see about phone.

Please help!

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not even sure if this phone is at&t or t-mobile because I can't go into settings to see about phone.

It isn't T-Mobile for sure as they have not (as of yet) deployed the iPhone on their system. They will begin to do that in 2013. It's likely the phone is an AT&T locked phone, and if it is, it may need a SIM card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.