Reformatting a time capsual with a PC?

Reaction score
Hi,

I used to have a macbook and also bought a Time Capsule to go with a few years ago. I sold the Mac Book and kept the time capsule using it as a wireless router only.

There will be all my old files from my macbook on there. I dont want them at all.

I have just bought a new MBP for Xmas. I do not want this time capsule putting 3 year old rubbish on there.

Is there any way I can reformat it via my PC ready for my MBP that I am keeping until Xmas day?

I was thinking of something like a hard reset but then it works flawlessly with the wireless network and would be a shame to do this.

Im not that up on Mac's so sorry if this is a dumb Q. Ill be windows 7 until Xmas day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you can format it with the Disk Utility app on your MBP.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks mate.

Is there anyway to do it with my PC?

Id really like to have my virgin MBP start out on a virgin Time Capsule. Im concerned due to my newbness I will put all my old files onto my new machine and I hate clutter. Going to make an extra effort to keep my MBP as lean as poss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you are going to have to have the MBP format it for use with the TM anyway. Just cancel the restore if/when asked.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is not going to put anything on your new Mac unless "you" tell it you "want" to restore from a previous backup the first time it boots up.

Reaction score
I think you're over thinking the situation. As said above, it won't restore from the TC unless you tell it to. Once you set up the new Mac, simply go into Disk Utility and format and/or partition it as you please so it's fresh and ready to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.