Mac Newbie wonders: Virex, or other A/V needed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I've read a lot of the discussion surrounding security on a Mac, most recently, a post that just made Digg's front page:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4609968.stm

I don't run as Admin, have SPAM under control, never open attachments that are in any way suspect or from un-trusted sources, have a secure password, and am behind a router/firewall. Having said that, I *do* have a Windows machine on the network.

IMO, Symantec (based on what I know of their products in the Windows world) won't ever end up on my Mac. If I use any A/V product, I'd prefer the benefits outweigh the damage it might do. So, with that in mind, is Virex decent/worth installing? Is *any* A/V app necessary in the opinion of you folks here with experience?

Many thanks,
Mark

Reaction score
Virex is a nice program but i should think that if their is ever a virus written for Macs it will be big news so you'll hear about it and then be able to take action.

I wouldn't start panicking yet.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Mr Bobbins said:
Virex is a nice program but i should think that if their is ever a virus written for Macs it will be big news so you'll hear about it and then be able to take action.

I wouldn't start panicking yet.

Thanks. I don't know if Virex (or any other available Mac A/V apps) can be configured to run *only* on demand. If so, I might install something and just do an occassional manual scan. I don't think it's necessary to have a real-time scanner running on the Mac, but again, I certainly don't know enough yet to be certain. I appreciate your comments.

Mark

Reaction score
Well, make shure the OSX firewall is set up and turned on and do a regular check with the system updater to see if any new sercurity updates have came in and keep an eye on the news. That should be enough to keep your system safe.

I have a seperate user account that I use for the internet so that i can have all the programs for that in the dock and use Net barrier firewall program as my firewall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.