Extremely high GPU Temp - Windows 7 Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hello all -
I am experiencing what I believe to be a faulty sensor (and/or) a miscommunication between the GPU temperature sensor and the Windows OS.

Attached in the JPG below, it shows my temperature in full scale. I have boosted up my fans on my Mac side to compensate for the 'high-temperature' that Macs are known to experience on Windows. After increasing the fan speed, I have had no problem maintaining an average temperature of 36 degrees celsius on the HD, Cores, and CPU. Windows has ran flawlessly (knock on wood).

However, the GPU temp has remained extremely high. Has anyone ran into this problem before?

My specs:
Intel Core i5 @ 2.7 GHz
4 GB RAM
64-bit OS
1 TB HD

Gfx Card:
AMD Radeon HD 6770M

I am not running anything except Firefox, Kaspersky, Speed Fan 4.47, Open Hardware Monitor. Even when these are closed the GPU temp remains high.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Gus

Desktop Temp.JPG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Several suggestions:

You might want to try the free SMC Fan Control for Windows: LINK I'm not really sure there is a problem, however. ??

I'm assuming you're using Kaspersky while in Windows? You might want to get rid of it and use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) instead. Not only free but actually more effective than Kaspersky.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks chscag. I understand why you would recommend MSE, however, I have a license through my school which gives me Kaspersky for free. Do you think that Kaspersky would create an interference between the GPU core sensor and my temperature monitors?

I launched MacFan as an administrator, but it prompts me with a 'problem' at the end:

"SMC Fan Control on Mac OS X changed the minimum fan speed. Which seems to be incorrect.

If you need to put your machine to sleep to reset these values, type Y.
Close MacFan without recording fan minimum and maximum values? Y/N.
"

Whether I press Y / N, MacFan closes without prompting me why.

If I change my minimum values on SMC Fan Control I start to overheat on Windows.

I'm not sure if any of these options will address the GPU temperature problem. I will try to make my Mac OS X Fan Speed at Default apple settings and retry Mac Fan on windows.

OP
G
Reaction score
Several suggestions:

You might want to try the free SMC Fan Control for Windows: LINK I'm not really sure there is a problem, however. ??

I'm assuming you're using Kaspersky while in Windows? You might want to get rid of it and use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) instead. Not only free but actually more effective than Kaspersky.

I took your advice in using SMC Fan Control for Windows. I put my values to what I understand will maintain a good temp (2500 Fan #1, 2500 Fan #2, 2100 Fan #3). The GPU has not changed. I also defaulted my Mac OS X SMC Fan Control so it would not interfere.

GPU is still at 100,000+ degress C.

Anymore ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello all -
I am experiencing what I believe to be a faulty sensor (and/or) a miscommunication between the GPU temperature sensor and the Windows OS.

I've read over this thread…and I have three thoughts:

1. Download & install "Temperature Monitor" for the Macintosh (link below). If everything looks fine on the "Macintosh side of things"…then you don't have a faulty GPU sensor. The problem then (on the Windows side of things) is either something to do with Windows or the temp. monitoring program being used with Windows.

Temperature Monitor: Description

2. Sometimes folks recommend NOT using SMC fan control…suggesting that the Apple engineers know best as to what the fan rpm's & cooling air balance should be.

3. Is your Mac running ok otherwise? Maybe you're being overly concerned about nothing!;)

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
I've read over this thread…and I have three thoughts:

1. Download & install "Temperature Monitor" for the Macintosh (link below). If everything looks fine on the "Macintosh side of things"…then you don't have a faulty GPU sensor. The problem then (on the Windows side of things) is either something to do with Windows or the temp. monitoring program being used with Windows.

Temperature Monitor: Description

2. Sometimes folks recommend NOT using SMC fan control…suggesting that the Apple engineers know best as to what the fan rpm's & cooling air balance should be.

3. Is your Mac running ok otherwise? Maybe you're being overly concerned about nothing!;)

HTH,:)

- Nick

Thanks, Nick! I appreciate you taking the time to look over my problem.

I use Temperature Monitor on my Mac side. When I booted it and looked through it, everything was fine. However, from what I can see, there is no option to see the GPU Core Temp on Temperature Monitor on Mac OS X.

My Mac is running great. Windows is running great. When I game, which is the reason why I use Windows, my HD temp was around 56 degrees celsius. This prompted me to take some action in fear of my HD overheating. I then saw the GPU temp.

One aspect of 'apple engineering' that I am skeptical of is their shut-off temp / temp that prompts the computer to shut down due to overheating. With my understanding, which is limited, once a HD overheats you've already done what damage you can. By paying close attention to my temperatures, I am hoping to keep both my HD and computer alive :).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I use Temperature Monitor on my Mac side. When I booted it and looked through it, everything was fine. However, from what I can see, there is no option to see the GPU Core Temp on Temperature Monitor on Mac OS X.

I purposely installed Temp. Monitor on my MacBook Pro to specifically check to see if GPU temps were given. I get temps for:

- "Graphics Processor Chip 1"
- "Graphics Processor Temperature D"

So it seems to me "Temperature Monitor" does give some sort of GPU temps.:)

My Mac is running great. Windows is running great. When I game, which is the reason why I use Windows, my HD temp was around 56 degrees celsius. This prompted me to take some action in fear of my HD overheating. I then saw the GPU temp.

All Mac's get hot when playing graphics intensive games, watching You-Tube videos, etc. You just got to go with the flow!;)

One aspect of 'apple engineering' that I am skeptical of is their shut-off temp / temp that prompts the computer to shut down due to overheating. With my understanding, which is limited, once a HD overheats you've already done what damage you can. By paying close attention to my temperatures, I am hoping to keep both my HD and computer alive :).

I don't think that I've heard of anyone on Mac-Forums having a hard drive failure due to computer temps.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm currently looking at my temperatures (2011 iMac) (AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB) and fan rotations. I'm using the pay version of iStat menus.

CPU Heatsink = 38º C

GPU Heatsink = 47º C

The three fans are rotating approximately 997 to 1100 RPM depending on usage.

What I don't understand is the way out of range temperature indicated for your GPU. I agree that it's likely a defective temperature sensor or one that's not reading at all. (failed) It might be time to have Apple look at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hot summer day down under and June 2012 iMac runs around 40ºC on all and fans from 1100/1395rpm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.