Iphoto problems

Reaction score
I have transferred 2 older iphoto albums into latest macbook pro, bought used, reconditioned.
I'm now running OSX 10.6.8 if that matters.
Half of my pics are blank, won't open.
Can anyone shed ant light on how to fix this?
Thanks in advance for any help!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have you got the same version of iPhoto (or greater) on the new MacBook?

Have you tried re-copying the libraries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Also, if you had your originals on an external disk, make sure the external disk is mounted with the same name. I ran into that once.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Thanks for trying, unfortunately I am Mac-ignorant, I need instructions.
I live on a tiny island off Belize, no Mac geeks, Mac dealers or techs in entire country.
I have Iphoto 11, 9.2.3, in a Macbook Pro.
I am self-taght, (not a lot!).
First and 2cd Macs were Powerbook, (pretty old) and older Macbook Pro.
All I have left of them is hard drive from 2cd Pro, that opened all previous pictures.
Transferred drives by local guy who has "drive reader?" but knows little more than I.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I don't think this is particularly a Mac issue. It's a data issue.

One wau or another you are missing data. This can have occurred at many points:
- the original hard disk could be damaged
- the library file on the old hard disk may be damaged
- The copy process from the old hard disk to however they arrived on your current Mac may not have completed correctly/fully.

I'd suggest connecting the old hard disk to your new Mac using an external disk enclosure or disk to usb adapter (perhaps this is what the local guy means by 'drive reader').

Once connected to your Mac open iPhoto holding Option and you'll be given an option to navigate to a library of your choice. Open the library on the external (old) disk. If the issue remains then the original library file is corrupt and we'll need to take another approach to recovering your images.
If it works ok then the library file is intact and it was the copy process that introduced issues. In this case close iPhoto. Copy the library file onto your new Mac and repeat the above process with iPhoto to open the library

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks mrplow!
I'll have to make an appointment with my local "drive reader" guy.
Those were my words, not his, now you see how much trouble I'm in.
Perhaps between the 2 of us?
BTW, there are over 20,000 images on old hard drive, could this be part of the problem?
Lots of them were there from previous owners, I tried weeding them out, took days, thousands trashed, but not emptied, just in case.
Should I trash them?
I think they'll still be there, as I have a file on desktop, titles "first user" that contains all info from the other 2 hard drives.
Overload problem?
I KNOW NOTHING!

OP
B
Reaction score
I guess if you're not already a geek, forget getting any help from geeks here.
Back to windows, which everyone here is familiar with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess if you're not already a geek, forget getting any help from geeks here.
Back to windows, which everyone here is familiar with.

Glad I took the time to reply now. Good luck with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.