i have an older mac its an iBook G4

Reaction score
I realize that limits what i can do and how far i can upgrade this machine because i dont have an intel processor.but i downloaded a legacy version of Parallel's Desktop version 4.0 which i believe was out around the same time as these iBooks were prevalent.
when i try to open the program on the iBook i get an error message that says no program can open this file while in DOS mode
I was wondering if anyone knew what dos mode is? what the alternative modes are? if any of those modes will open thatb program on this iBook? and if not.... Is there any way to open windows programs on a mac iBook G4 (pre-intel)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I realize that limits what i can do and how far i can upgrade this machine because i dont have an intel processor.but i downloaded a legacy version of Parallel's Desktop version 4.0 which i believe was out around the same time as these iBooks were prevalent.

Nope. Parallels first hit the market after Apple introduced the Intel MacBook and MacBook Pro. And as the previous reply stated, it's Intel only. Forget about Windows emulators for your iBook. It would be faster to watch paint dry than use one of those. :)

C

chas_m

You could BUILD a PC in the time it will take an iBook G4 to launch Windows in a PPC emulator.

I loved my MacBook G4 -- a decade ago -- but your plan just isn't going to work, period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take note of what chasm tells you. VitrualPC has not been supported in years by Microsoft, was the very devil to setup and slow as three wet weeks. You have two options, update your G4 or purchase a cheap Windows laptop, such as a Dell inspiron or similar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.