Office for Mac

Reaction score
Hey All

Sorry I wasn't sure if this was the best place for me to post this or not.

My boss is a windows guy, sorry I know the easy answer is to convert him but I can't haha.

He has a template that he sends to us that has check boxes and boxes that we can fill numbers in. He creates it in Microsoft Word and when I open it up on a WIndows PC it works fine. When I try to open it up on my Mac it is Protected. The file opens in "Compatibility Mode" . I can't check the boxes or type my numbers in. Does anyone know what I am talking about? And if so does anyone know how I might fix that? I am opening it in "word for mac"

Thanks
Travis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What version of Office do you have on your computer and some details of computer and operating system will help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I find that strange because I routinely use Word templates that were created in Windows or direct from the MS Office site, and they work just fine in Office Mac 2011 Word. When you say protected, that means the file is locked. But if it can be written to when in Windows, it shouldn't be locked. Anyway, read on....

Try this: When you receive the template, select "properties" from "File" "Properties". Look to see if there is any protection that he may have placed on the template. You can check it from the "general" tab. Look for checks in the boxes that say: "hidden" "Read Only".

If the "Read Only" box is checked, your boss will have to remove it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.