Issue with external hard drive

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently bought a Macbook Air and I absolutely love it!

I have transferred all my data over from my old Sony Vaio and reformatted my external hard drive so it works with OSX. Its a my passport essential.

However, when I plug the hard drive into my surround sound or TV to watch something it wont work and says there was an error.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Reaction score
When you say 'plug into surround sound'... what do you mean by that?
And what make and model TV do you have, cause some TV's do not support playing from
an external HDD.

SM

OP
P
Reaction score
I mean my surround sound system has a USB port where I can plug the hard drive in and play content that way or I can also plug it into the USB port on my 42" LG TV.

Before I formatted the hard drive to work with my mac it worked fine on TV and surround sound but now it doesn't...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You formatted that hard drive to work with Mac OS X. It has to be formatted to NTFS in order to work with your surround sound system and TV. Check your TV manual to make sure.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok thanks but if I format it back to NTFS then it wont work on my Mac will it?

Is there any way to make it work on all formats?

C

chas_m

With the cost of hard drives being so stupidly cheap, just buy another one.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Or format it back to NTFS and spend $20 on Paragon's NTFS for Mac. You'll be able to read/write and even partition and format as NTFS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.