Setting up a Mac Home

Reaction score
I just purchased two macbook pros for my wife and I, as we move into a new home I'd like to set us up for success.

My intent is to be able to use our iphone 5s (to be purchased in January) in conjunction with our macbooks to stream music in the house, and video as well. I'd also like to have a wireless backup hard drive.

What is the best setup for my needs? I originally like the idea of the 2TB Time Capsule, but without the audio out it does not match my needs. How can I use the airport, airport extreme, or maybe apple TV to link it all together?

Thank you,
-Mike

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can use airport express, extreme, or Apple TV to do the airplay right over your home wifi. You would need to bridge them together.

OP
Reaction score
So if I used the Time Capsule as a shared harddrive and as my home wi-fi, could I then run Apple TV off the wi-fi from the TC?

Would this effect or complicate the capabilities of either device? I'd like to be able to wirelessly stream music and movies.

-Mike

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
So if I used the Time Capsule as a shared harddrive and as my home wi-fi, could I then run Apple TV off the wi-fi from the TC?

Would this effect or complicate the capabilities of either device? I'd like to be able to wirelessly stream music and movies.

-Mike

I have an AirPort Extreme connected to the modem. I also have time capsule and an airport express extending my wifi signal.

It's super easy to setup. All you have to do is power up your devices. Launch airport on your Mac and follow the prompt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.