Create a network shared folder with no permission issues

Reaction score
Just got my wife a new Mac with ML on it. On her old Mac, which I dont have for reference any longer I had it setup so there was "public' folder she could save to, or I could read/write to over the network using my PC.

I have created a user account (type: for file sharing only) on her Mac with my credentials. I also have explicitly set the permissions both under System Prefs/ File Sharing and on the shared folder GetInfo to both of us read/write. Under GetInfo I have also set child folders to have the same permissions.

This is sort of working, but if I create a folder over the network (sub folder of public) she still doesn't have permission to read its' contents. If she creates a file or folder I can read them, but dont have permission to delete them.

Basically I want a shared folder that either of us can read/write/delete files & folders created by the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I dont know if this will work but it should

You can create a group in the Users and Groups pref pane. Add you and your wife to that group

Then set the permissions for the share by group, not user and see if that propagates the permissions for the share in a better way

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it did not work.
Any existing items I copy/move/create in that folder retain their original permissions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.