Slow YouTube and data on iPad 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
I got my first iPad a week ago, a WiFi iPad 4, and I've experienced nothing but slow YouTube buffering speeds when playing high definition videos. However, it's not always slow. Sometimes it buffers a few times faster than video playback time, and sometimes it just barely keeps up. Most of the time it lags behind and forces me to wait multiple times, for long periods of time, to let it buffer (unacceptable). I rarely have YouTube buffering issues on my computer and they only last for short periods of time. It's been a week now.

Speedtest.net results:
11-20Mbsp on my Macbook Pro (10.8.2)
5-9Mbps on my iPad (6.0.1)
7-12Mbps on my iPhone (6.0.1)
Upload on all of them are ~2-2.5Mbps

First of all, why does the iPad get such poor data speeds compared to my other devices? Secondly, what is going on with YouTube buffering? As i'm writing this, I'm attempting to buffer a 1080p video on my computer and its doing horribly. I did another speed test and got 14.34Mbps down, so its clearly not my bandwidth. I've reset my router and modem, didn't help.

I'm a Youtube junkie and part of the reason I bought this iPad was for viewing YouTube so I'm considerably upset about this. I hope someone has some advice that's helpful :'(

Edit: I use the app, McTube on my iPad to view YouTube videos.
Edit 2: I found a google thread discussing this: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/W9ME8NdYlYk

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
Why not try some different players and see if that makes a difference?

The official YouTube app does the same thing. It might be something going on with my Internet provider. Youtube aside, why does the iPad get such low down speeds overall compared to my other devices?

C

chas_m

1. There's an official YouTube player for the iPad under iOS 6? Does YouTube know about this?

2. Too many variables to answer that, but do you at least have a dual-band router that can separate 802.11n from 802.11g? That would probably clear up the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.