Ethernet Cat6 Gigabit vs Wifi (Gaming)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone6
Hey Guys!
I play a lot of online games, currently i have BT infinity (75 mbps) of which my iMac over Wifi gets about 60 mbps, my Hub is at the bottom of my stairs and my Mac in my bedroom, sometimes i experience terrible lag and as you can imagine on online shooters this causes a few issues. the back of the Hub has a gigabit ethernet slot and so does the back of my Mac so i put two and two together and figured i may as well run a 15m ethernet cable joining the two. However, not being a tech kid im not fully sure if this will help things a great deal. Will this reduce my Ping? Help fight off the lag and help my Mac receive my full 75 mbps?
Basically, will i actually gain anything from this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That all depends on where the lag is occurring. If it's the wifi response, then yes, it'll be much improved. If not then there's no saying it will.

I game on my iMac, via bootcamp, over wifi and experience no discernible lag over an ethernet connection. So I know it's possible.

Ethernet cable is cheap but if you only have a short cable can I suggest just moving your Mac to the router temporarily and trying it first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.