WifI Network suddenly asks for a WPA 2 password

Reaction score
I live in Ecuador and recently traveled back to Oregon for 2 weeks. No one was in the house. When I tried to connect my macbook pro to my network I received the message " My wifi network requires a WPA2 password.

Suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you referring to your network in Oregon or the one back in Ecuador? Also, are you sure you're connecting to your network and not a neighbor who might have one that's WPA2? If you're positive it's your network, (check the SSID) reset the router and change the encryption along with a new password.

OP
C
Reaction score
Are you referring to your network in Oregon or the one back in Ecuador? Also, are you sure you're connecting to your network and not a neighbor who might have one that's WPA2? If you're positive it's your network, (check the SSID) reset the router and change the encryption along with a new password.

Thanks for the reply. No, it is the one in Ecuador. It's my network. I assume the SSID is the name of my network.. How do I change the encryption?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, just making sure. :) You can change the encryption by accessing the internal menu on your router. You'll have to check with your router's supplier or a manual if you have one to see how to access the internal menu. Generally, it's accessed from your browser by typing in the router's IP address. The router may then ask you for a userid and password.

Once you access the menu, look for WiFi security settings. It's from this part of the menu that you can change the security and password. One note of importance.... before accessing the router, attach an ethernet cable from the router to your computer so you don't lose contact with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.