Mac hangs at reboot after bootcamp partition

Reaction score
Ok so i had some problems with my windows install and i wanted to update to Mountain Lion anyway so I wiped my entire hard drive, deleted all the partitions, and started fresh with one partition. I got Mountain Lion installed perfectly. Heres where the problem starts. I started with editing the plist to make bootcamp allow USB install. (im running an Imac 2007). The Superdrive only works when it wants to and its easier just to not use it at all. I then opened bootcamp assistant and checked all three boxes (created usb disk, download support drivers, and install windows 7). I used my handy .iso of my win7 x64 disk and bootcamp created my usb disk, downloaded the support drivers then asked me how big to make my partition. i choose the size and clicked continue. Bootcamp partitioned my drive just fine and then restarted. And then my computer sticks at the apple logo (with no spinning wheel). i let it sit over night and no difference. so i just powered off and when i powered on i get the *no boot disk -- insert bootable disk and press any key*. The USB flash drive is in the computer but its not showing up after a restart and holding alt. i can boot into OS X just fine but not get windows to install. The bootcamp partition shows up on my OSX desktop with no files. Also the USB disk shows up named WININSTALL with the install files and support drivers on it.

I also tried partitioning manually and making a small 10gb partition with windows 7 install "restored to it" and tried booting from that to install, no go. It doesnt show up in the boot list.

I installed rEFIT and it gives an error when trying to boot from the USB or the 10gb partition with the windows install on it. (can't remember exactly what the error was)

I also installed NTFS mac to pre-format the windows drive as NTFS, still doesnt show up.

Thanks in advance!

OP
G
Reaction score
I have gotten that message before. It only shows up for me when it is checking the physical disc drive. So, it seems even though you made the edit, it is still defaulting to the physical drive.

So how do i fix it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have the Win 7 disk and as you say the Superdrive works sproradically, you might try taking a can of air, and while the machine is turned off, shooting 3-4 quick bursts in different directions into the slot of the drive. I've had to do this about once a year on my 6 yr old machine just to clean the lens off and then it'll work fine for about another year.

As to the USB not being bootable, would say you should go back through the walk-through and re-verify all the steps. Have seen a whole ton of reports where editing the info.plist works on some machines and not others with no real answer as to why.

Reaction score
Hi there I just came across this by accident, but anyway I'd like to leave a little hint regarding this:
"Have seen a whole ton of reports where editing the info.plist works on some machines and not others with no real answer as to why."

After editing the Info.plist (you always should save a copy of the original file) you have to resign or else the signature won't match and the app will crash

to do this, open Terminal and type

$ sudo codesign -fs - /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app

enter your password et voile

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.