Using windows key from old computers?

Reaction score
I work with a small architecture firm and we have been struggling for quite some time but now we are finally starting to pick up again. Currently we are using 6 year old PCs (that we built) running windows XP.
In December we are going to be purchasing all new iMacs. We will be running our cad software (Autocad & Revit) on windows via bootcamp.

Now on to the Windows issue
Bestbuy has pricing for Windows 7 at $300 and Windows 8 at $69
Currently, Autocad and Revit have system requirements of Windows XP or 7. We definitely don't want to stick with XP so we will be getting 7 (for now). The problem is we really don't want to shell out $300 per computer when I'm sure we will upgrade to 8 anyway when later releases of our cad software would be compatible.

Is it possible to use the Windows XP keys from our old computers on the new iMacs in order to get the less expensive Windows 7 upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
On recent versions of bootcamp, windows 7 is the minimum OS

I would trial out one new mac with windows 8 and try it out, its basically windows 7 anyway and should run your applications just fine

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is it possible to use the Windows XP keys from our old computers on the new iMacs in order to get the less expensive Windows 7 upgrade?

No, you can not use an XP PID (key). The new iMacs will only be able to run Windows 7 for now and very likely Windows 8. Windows 8 uses the same driver model as Windows 7, so it will only require an update to the Boot Camp assistant. Software that works on Windows 7 should (according to MS) work on Windows 8.

What I suggest you do is purchase the OEM system builder's full install version of Windows 7 x 64 bit from Amazon.com. The single install version is only $99.00 and you may actually be able to get it discounted if you purchase more copies.

Keep this in mind, however: The new iMacs do not have an optical drive which makes it more difficult to install Windows. You will need to use iso images of Windows 7 to install instead. Probably using a USB 3 flash drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great suggestion from member "ThuyNga". WinToFlash is free for non commercial use and can be downloaded from their web site: LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15" - 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo; 4GB RAM
Actually I'm pretty sure you can install XP, however it is no longer supported by Apple. You can get the drivers using an old version of the Boot Camp Assistant. But since you are getting new iMacs, you are out of luck with that one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.