• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

EyeTV question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
Yea, in this field (tv tuners for mac), Elgato's line of EyeTV is probably the most used. You have a lot to choose from, and they all work very well. Your other option would be Hauppauge's MyTV.PVR.

P

paranoidandroid

Hi,

I am in the UK and recently bought this eyetv digital tv recorder. Have been fairly happy with it so far. Only thing to consider is that you may need to buy a decent arial or hook it up to a signal booster, the supplied ariel is tiny and only works well if you are in an area that recieves a strong signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I'm in a strong signal area and have had nothing but problems.
I can only pick up 5 channels, where my PC will pick up 75, and I have used the cable input from the loft.
The service I have received from Elgato is appaling, and i'm stuck watching E4 + 1
This is the Eyetv for DTT
Appaling so far.
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
If you want an EyeTV 200, go for the Plextor ConvertX PVR. Same hardware and the same software, it only uses USB instead of FireWire and costs $100 less.

M

MatCan

I have the Elgato 410 for DTT plugged into my Powerbook G4 1.33 and have no problems at all (Cambridge, UK). During the auto setup it found over 250 channels but it only allows me to see ~50 TV and ~15 radio but thats more than enough for me.
With de-interlace set to "Always" I get ~50% CPU usage and with it set to "Progressive" its about 75%.
Universal binary on the way for Eye TV 2.0 (current update to help with Rosetta 2.0.1) so that should help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.