AirPort has Self Assigned IP adress

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really hoping you can solve my problem ASAP.

Basically when I came home one day from using the wireless somewhere else, my home router would not connect to my laptop, yet it would connect to the other laptops/devices in my house. When I went on network settings, it said the Aiport has a Self Assigned IP Adress and that the Ethernet i not connected. I've tried a lot of things and nothing works. My internet works on my neighbors and other public areas, but not on my home router, whereas other devices connect and work when using my router.

Hope you guys can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
A self assigned IP occurs when your Mac hasn't made a connection to a DHCP server (like the one run by your router). So the issue is that you are not making a full or possibly any connection to the router

Go to System Preferences - Network - Make sure the location at the top is set to automatic.

It's also worth deleting your home network from the list of known networks and detecting, connecting and entering a password from scratch

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.