Linking iMac and Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I currently have an iMac, and i'm looking at purchasing a Macbook Pro to use at university, can anyone tell me the best way to link them, so i can access all the documents on my iMac, and easily cross sync them both. Would it be via iCloud.

Because i would want to be able to access everything on my iMac, and when i do work on my Macbook pro, send it back to my iMac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Getting started with iCloud: LINK

Learn how to setup iCloud on all your devices: LINK

There is also Dropbox which you can install on both your iMac and MBP. Read the following article from MacWorld first: LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
While iCloud is nice for some things, and I use it, I have found that I prefer Dropbox instead, as it will more easily sync across all devices and you can access the documents from any machine, even if you don't have the Dropbox app installed - like on computer lab computers - by hitting their website and logging in. Just my opinion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I use a combination of both iCloud and Dropbox. However, since I started using Dropbox first, I keep going that route. I should really rely more on iCloud as there have been security concerns about Dropbox in the past.

OP
E
Reaction score
is there any way to do something, sort of like remote access, so basically everything on my iMac is accessible and usable on the MPB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you referring to accessing your iMac from the MBP? If so, there are quite a few applications that allow remote access. Team Viewer has good reviews and it's free.

OP
E
Reaction score
ahhh, i forgot about team viewer, yes that would be useful, we use that at my work place

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.