Capacity for first time smartphone user?

Reaction score
Hi there guys. My partner's birthday is coming up, and I have decided to get him his very first smartphone :D. I know the capacity question is all over the internet, but they all seem to be geared toward someone trying to decide the capacity for upgrading from their current iPhone. Personally, I have the 64GB iPhone 5 in white and am currently at half capacity (I have a ton of photos and home videos).

Anyway, I am having some difficulty at deciding what capacity to get for my partner. I have no idea what his usage patterns will be, since it is his first smartphone. I currently have both the 16GB and 32GB black/slate in the cart to check for local availability come 10pm. Part of me thinks that the 16GB would be sufficient for a first try, but then again I would hate to have him run out of space before its upgrade time again. We are both out in the field hunting and fishing allot, so I am thinking that having the extra space to store stuff would be convenient for him since there is not adequate signal where we hunt. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Video will be the main usage of storage

He can always upload video from the iphone to the mac when video is not needed on the device, and you can use iTunes to determine what video is synced to the iphone

I would say 16 gig is sufficient for an iPhone, but I do manage what content i really need on it it, unless he insists on having a large music and video collection always loaded onto the device

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I do fine with a 16GB iPhone. But I don't keep any music or movies on it, and the only photos on it are ones I've taken with it. If he's going to have much media on it, I'd probably recommend the 32GB model.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I have no idea how much media he will end up wanting to store on it, and no way of asking without tipping him off. Given that you cannot add more later, the 32 may be the way to go to be on the safe side. As far as management, I have to help him with everything on the computer (VERY computer illiterate). It may be beneficial to just let him keep what he wants without having to worry about running out. He does have a large iPhoto library that consists of the pictures of the kids, dogs, hunting, etc that he will probably want to keep.

I should also note that this will be his primary mobile device, no notebook or iPad.

OP
C
Reaction score
The best option may be to just get whichever capacity becomes available for reservation, since they are still so difficult to find.

C

chas_m

I second the idea of a 32GB. Large enough so you don't have to "manage" it all the time, small enough to save a bit of money (and be worth more on resale).

Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Go for a 32GB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nowadays, 16 GB is not enough room for most folks whether it be for an iPhone or iPad. I also recommend 32 GB unless you're sure you won't ever need that much space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
I equate storage on PCs, smartphones, laptops, etc to women's purses (or men's wallets). You ever see guys with 'bricks' in their back pockets? Makes me wonder how they can sit comfortably. The bigger it is the more crap is stuff in it. Keep it clean and simple is my motto. I just can't see having 3000 tunes and hundreds of vids on anyones phone. 16 should be more than enough if you stay on top of it. 32 is ideal and shouldn't cost that much more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.