• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac support scam alert

Reaction score
I tried to get mac support this afternoon for an ICloud / AppleID problem that occurred after I installed 10.8.2. I googled "mac support" and somehow landed up on a site that looked like the mac site, that had me call 877-607-3944 as the support number. I thought the "877" prefix seemed strange, but dialed through anyway.

My problem was that after I installed 10.8.2 my Apple ID no longer worked - it turns out that under some conditions the ITunes/ICloud system wants you to re-agree to the terms and conditions after you change your operating system.

At any rate, the company presents itself as Apple Tech support. I got this technician that gave me a total run-around about how I had not saved the appropriate files (?) when I installed the new OS, hence the problem was all my fault, and that I would have to talk to advanced technical support. Since I had only purchased technical support, not advanced technical support when I bought my mac, I would have to pay $300 for three years of support to fix the problem! Of course there is no distinction between regular and advanced tech support at Apple, and the "saving files" issue was totally bogus.

The actual solution was fairly simple once I got hold of the real Apple support people.

Going back I cannot seem to find their web site again, but I did see other sites that have an 877-607 number. I would caution anyone against having anything to do with an ostensible Apple support Co that has that phone prefix,

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Can you tell us the website, or just the name of the url without the dotcom info?

OP
D
Reaction score
It appears that this is a real fly by night operation; the website I first went to has been taken down already, as have the several other "Apple service" web sites I found that used an 877-607 number.

Digging around for information on that specific number reveals nothing at all: there is no "reverse look-up" info out there. However, I did come across a site that is tracking scams emanating from 877-607 numbers generally. Thus, this prefix may be favored by hit and run scammers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That scam is usually done by cold calling for Windows users, and has the same pattern of small fly-by-night operations that exist to get your credit card number

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
If you have not already done so call Apple Customer Relations and ask them to forward this info to Apple Legal. They take these issues very seriously.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.