Imac VMware Installed

Reaction score
Hi ,
I need to install Windows 7 in my iMac (intel 2 core duo w. Mountain Lion) 2 GB ram. Which one I should use 32 or 64 bits.
If is 64 bits all the apps will run?
I'll appreciate your support with this.
Andreniko

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't have enough memory to run the 64 bit version of Windows 7, and to be honest, you've barely enough to run the 32 bit version. Update your memory to the maximum the machine will take. Probably 6 GB. (You didn't give us an exact model and year of your iMac.)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
What chscag said. You definitely need a lot more memory. I find VMWare runs only so so on my 2011 MBP with 16G of RAM - but runs very well on my 2011 iMac with 16GB RAM...so I would expect your iMac to struggle mightily the way you have it currently configured.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, Model Year

Guys I really appreciate your support with this matter. I was looking for the year and model of my iMac and 'cause I bought on December 2007, it has to be one of this model

iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007) iMac7,1 MA876XX/A
iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007) iMac7,1 MA877XX/A

I understand I can upgrade the memory up to 6-8 GB.

What do you think? It could work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can upgrade to 6 GB according to Mactracker. That means 1 x 4 GB + 1 x 2 GB modules.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
My personal opinion is that you're not going to be happy with your VMWare performance on that machine - time for a new computer. I know they've done some things to improve performance in the latest version - but still - I think you'll probably find it sluggish.

C

chas_m

I concur with Brian. Need to rethink how much you "need" Windows on that machine. Don't forget you're still going to have to buy a new copy of Windows as well as VMWare. Are you certain there's not a cheaper alternative to what you're planning to do?

OP
A
Reaction score
Imac Windows 7 isntallatation

Sorry guys I couldn't do it before,, thanks for your support.

Let me tell you what I have done, installed 2x2G Memory, its running much better and got the Windows 7 32 bits. Used boot camp to installed Windows and put aside the VMware.
Follow boot camp assistant. It did my my backup cd, but when it start to installed Windows (see attachment).
I just started to get rid of a lot of stuff in my iMac, in order to have more space for partition.
But I don't understand the instructions in this window. Could you simplify it for me.

Thanks.
Andreniko

IMG_1891.jpg

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry the attachment doesn't appear. It says the disk can not partitioned because some files cannot move.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac Os Extended Volume (I don't understand this part???) Restore your information to the disk and try using boot camp again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you download drivers to CD and print the guidelines for installing Windows? How big is the hard drive and is it in one single partition at the time of starting BootCamp? You will need at least 40GB for the Windows partition.

OP
A
Reaction score
Done. I came back with VMware 5.0 and install Windows 7 Pro. Is working great, already installed Antivirus also.
Thks for everything. Now I'm going to enjoy my iMac w. Windows and looking forward to enter the forums.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.