mac files to Go-flex external drive

Reaction score
I bought a seagate go flex external drive to back up files from my macbook pro. I was successful in backing them up on the first time.

After a few months, i tried backing up new files, and i found out i cannot back up any files from my macbook, to the same external drive. Any advice on how to go about this? surely these external drives are'nt made for just one time use, just like the old CD-(write once only?)

Am just backing up JPG pics mostly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
How are you backing things up, manually or with software

What error messages or dialogues are there and what do they say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Those disks sell formatted for Windows (NTFS), which OSX can't write to natively. Did you reformat originally or install Paragon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Those disks sell formatted for Windows (NTFS), which OSX can't write to natively. Did you reformat originally or install Paragon?

My 2TB came ready formatted for Mac. If his did come ready formatted with NTFS, there is a partition on the disc which contains the software needed to format it to HFS+ for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
My 2TB came ready formatted for Mac. If his did come ready formatted with NTFS, there is a partition on the disc which contains the software needed to format it to HFS+ for the Mac.

Mine was NTFS with a software driver for writing to NTFS using OSX (Paragon). On my new MBP, I initially forgot about the Paragon requirement and while the Go-Flex was visible, it was read-only...I thought that this may be the OP's problem. (BTW, I keep it NTFS as I sync the data between my Macs and a Windows machine).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.