Just exactly how fast is the A6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
I wonder if I'm the only one who has ever thought about this before but I'm wondering what the chips apple puts in their IOS devices are equivalent to in power to a Macbook or iMac. Could the A6 be similar to the intel i3 processor or the A5 to the intel Core 2 Duo? Just a thought anyone have any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wonder if I'm the only one who has ever thought about this before but I'm wondering what the chips apple puts in their IOS devices are equivalent to in power to a Macbook or iMac. Could the A6 be similar to the intel i3 processor or the A5 to the intel Core 2 Duo? Just a thought anyone have any ideas?

Nope...you're not the 1st person to think about this.;)

As you may know...Everymac.com using the benchmarking program "Geekbench" to test the performance of Macintosh computers. There must also be a "Geekbench" version for iOS devices...since Everymac.com has Geekbench scores for iPhones, iPads, etc.

So...for example...a 2012 15" retina MacBook Pro i7 2.7ghz has a Geekbench score of 12,203...and an iPad 3 has a Geekbench score of 756.

For more details Go to:

EveryMac.com

HTH,:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah...the Geekbench score comparison may not be the best...maybe better than nothing.;)

The "overhead" in a computer is certainly more than an iOS device...thus the processing power in an iOS device doesn't need to be as great. So the "speed" experience from the user standpoint is very important (snappy is snappy) regardless of the benchmark score.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah...the Geekbench score comparison may not be the best...maybe better than nothing.;)

- Nick

That is true. It's really hard to compare with computer hardware but more and more tests are coming out for the mobile devices. One thing that caught my eye was the iPhone 5's A6 according to another Anandtech article is the first Device CPU that keeps up on SunSpider with a good Intel Atom, so that is progress at least!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Remember also that the iPhone processors are ARM while the Macs are Intel based. Being entirely different architectures, the raw MHz number don't equate one to one. Additionally, iOS is a embedded OS and works differently than OS X. So, performance is hard to compare..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.