Which album do i completely delete?

Reaction score
Hi there,

Because I have 1,914 photos in my Camera roll... it takes forever for me to download just the new pictures on to iPhoto. :(

I'd like to delete all 1,914 pictures in the camera roll, hoping that only my newest pictures show up on Camera roll and it doesn't take forever to download (or worse yet, hangup and stop around 1,000 pictures) as I ONLY want to download the most recent pictures.

Can I do that, or will deleting all of camera roll delete pictures in all the other albums?

If I have sync'd my iphone to itunes, does photo library have all the pictures from Camera roll? I would like to think it does as camera roll only has 1,914 pictures whereas Photo Library has 2,509 pictures! (Gasp!)

If I delete pictures from Last Import (377) and Last 12 Months (1,063), will that help quicken the time to download "selected" pictures onto iPhoto?

When I download to iPhoto, and choose "delete pictures from camera" each time, will that clear my Camera roll down to ZERO? And by sync-ing to iTunes that evening will the new pictures end up in Photo Library?

Downloading pictures to iPhoto from my iPhone ONLY takes the pictures from Camera roll, correct?

Sorry for all the questions... but this forum seems to hold the answer to my burning questions....

Thank you and have a wonderful day! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'll address the iPhoto part...

To get pics you've taken with your iPhone onto your Mac, you open iPhoto (not iTunes). It recognizes your phone as a camera/device and then you can choose what to copy into iPhoto. You can tell iPhoto to only show photos that have not been copied yet.

If you tell iPhoto to delete from camera, it will delete whatever photos it just copied from your iPhone. They will not be on your iPhone after that. ...unless you go into iTunes and select which events to sync with or if you have it set to sync all of your iPhoto library.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you for your super quick reply! :)

I will look for the iPhoto option to "ONLY show photos that have not been copied yet" as that
does seem to eliminate my problem of waiting/wading thru' the thousands of earlier pictures!
Right now I have iPhoto '09 ver. 8.1.2.(424)

If I select sync ALL photos, will Photo Library on my iPhone 4 contain all the pictures that were in
camera roll? If so, I am going to delete all my photos in Camera roll this evening!

Deleting all pictures in "Camera Roll" will or will NOT delete pictures in my various albums?

Assistance your again, thank you! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If I select sync ALL photos, will Photo Library on my iPhone 4 contain all the pictures that were in camera roll? If so, I am going to delete all my photos in Camera roll this evening!

Not sure I completely understand what you're asking... If you select sync all in iTunes it will put all the photos in iPhoto onto your iPhone.

If you select copy all in iPhoto it will copy all the photos from your camera roll on the iPhone into iPhoto.

Deleting all pictures in "Camera Roll" will or will NOT delete pictures in my various albums?

After copying photos from camera roll to iPhoto, if you selected the option to delete them, it will delete whatever pics that were just copied in your camera roll only. Not any other albums or events you have on your iPhone.

iPhone in iTunes allows you to select what photos you want added to your iPhone from your Mac.

iPhone in iPhoto allows you to select what pics you've taken with your iPhone camera to copy onto your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.