Bootcamp Troubles

Reaction score
First off, I did read through the manuals beforehand, and I followed directions to a "T". Yet I still managed to find myself in a bit of a pickle. I currently have very little on my late 2008 Macbook Pro with v10.6.8 Snow Leopard. So I had no issue with the partitioning. I split the Macintosh HD at about 50/50 between Mac and the Windows 7 Home Premium I am trying to install. But because of a past accident involving my ex husband's lack of anger management, the left the frame of my computer slightly curved, enough where I require an external DVD drive. I've read on a couple forums that using a retail Windows 7 in an external drive won't work... But I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Anywho, I've had no issue with the partitioning. But each time I insert the disk and click to "Start installing", the computer restarts and gets stuck on a black screen with the "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key." I've tried restoring and re-partitioning, no luck. Changing the Startup disk settings, no luck. Using a USB device with the Windows 7 installation on it on the restart, no luck. I always get back to the black screen.

I'm really wanting to get Windows set up, and spending the last couple days trying to get it to install has been hella frustrating. I apologize if there were any previous threads with exactly the same problem, but any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

OP
C
Reaction score
I did a fair bit of reading through both of them, but I couldn't mind information I was specifically looking for, such as why it wouldn't be installing despite my efforts. And maybe for some suggestions as to the most painless way to get around this obstacle. I really don't want to have to buy a new computer just because my DVD drive doesn't work properly anymore.

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay, I did find where it says in the Macintosh manuel that an external disk drive can't be used with Bootcamp...

So now I just have to find a way to get Windows 7 installed without the use of my internal disk drive... I've already purchased it and have the disk, but since I can't use an external drive, not sure how I'm going to manage this through Bootcamp. And I'm hesitant to try any VMs because I had plans to use the Windows side of my computer more for virtual gaming.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may be able to install Windows 7 using a flash drive. Take a look at the following instructions which are for Windows but you should be able to apply them. If not, do a Google search on how to install Windows 7 from a flash drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5ghz OSX 10.10; Black MacBook (late 2006) OSX 10.6.8
You may be able to install Windows 7 using a flash drive. Take a look at the following instructions which are for Windows but you should be able to apply them. If not, do a Google search on how to install Windows 7 from a flash drive.

There's a simpler way of making a windows 7 flash drive. You'll need a computer running Windows XP, vista, or 7. First, download the appropriate iso file for your copy of windows 7 using the links on this page: How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc | PCWorld This is completely legal provided you use a valid product key which you have purchased.

Next, download the windows 7 USB DVD download tool from here: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool - CNET Download.com Use the tool to make a bootable flash drive of windows 7. Microsoft says on their website that win7 users can right click the iso file and use windows disc image burner, but this has failed for me when I've tried it in the past.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.