• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Red Bull Stratos ~ Jumping from the edge of Space !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Red Bull Stratos ~ Jumping from the edge of Space !!!!
Anyone interested in this sort of thing?
THE MISSION

The mission, Red Bull Stratos, will take renowned athlete Felix Baumgartner to at least 120,000 feet above the earth, to the very edge of Space. From there, he will attempt a stratospheric free fall jump - the longest in the history of man - and hopefully will become the first human to break the speed of sound.
This just blows my mind, the lengths some people go through to push the limits.
It was meant to of launched yesterday, but due to bad weather its been put back until Tonight early AM for me, but different times all over the world. They have a web page with a live feed Home | Red Bull Stratos and the LIVE FEED. Youtube as well are streaming it live and can be found HERE.

Once they get the go ahead then it will be a roughly 3 hr Balloon trip up to the edge of space before he jumps out of this......... I cant wait as this is history in the making. The first man alive to hit the speed of sound with no mechanical help what so ever is just .. .. .. . . . Just boggles my mind :)

Enjoy peoples

SI201203150165-image_news.jpg

Red-Bull-Stratos-Felix-Baumgartner-And-Capsule-High-Altitude-Salute.jpg

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Absolutely amazing..hope it goes well..don't even want to imagine what could go wrong at the velocities he'll be traveling if he's going to try to break the sound barrier..

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Absolutely amazing..hope it goes well..don't even want to imagine what could go wrong at the velocities he'll be traveling if he's going to try to break the sound barrier..

I think the correct velocity when he hits top speed is 1100 Km/hr with a free fall of about 6 minutes

Fast enough dont ya think lol He will be pulling 6 G's as well..... He must be amazingly fit bloke to be doing this.....

EDIT ~ 35 mins and counting. @ 0336hrs AEST........... As well for those that ARE interested, they have been having problems with the RedBull Homepage Live feed with people reporting errors with JavaScript telling you to install it to be able to watch it, even though people have JavaScript enabled, so it might be better to watch it through the YouTube link i posted in #1

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't even imagine the stresses on the parachutes that will need to slow him down from that crazy speed..

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea but with the help of the WingSuit he will end up gliding in to a relatively soft landing *touch wood* lol
Being interested in Technology on there web page under Technology and even the Science drop down there are some way out there figures in there. They have certainly done there homework. I heard a interview yesterday with one of the Technical bosses and he said if there is even the slightest pinhole in the suit, with the altitude he is at and the top speed he is going to hit, it wouldn't take too long for he blood to start to boil. I heard that and it put shivers down my spine, from the exhilaration of it i think ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I didn't realize until now that this was a publicity stunt for an energy drink. Not that this won't be an amazing achievement if he pulls it off, but having Red Bull's name all over it just kills my interest.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Red Bull has been doing this for a while now..like the Red Bull Flugtag for example. Our company actually an entry when they were holding this competition in Minneapolis..

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
..... but having Red Bull's name all over it just kills my interest.

Why that be ?? Curious is all ;)

For something like this and the investment that would have gone into it, they would of needed sponsors from somewhere. Is it just the RedBull brand name, or are you against ALL corporate advertising in this way?
Would it of bothered you if Sir Richard Branson for example had his name behind it ?

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3 Mins and counting until the Balloon takes off. Then 3 Hr trip North

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why that be ?? Curious is all ;)

For something like this and the investment that would have gone into it, they would of needed sponsors from somewhere. Is it just the RedBull brand name, or are you against ALL corporate advertising in this way?
Would it of bothered you if Sir Richard Branson for example had his name behind it ?

I generally frown on corporate branding in general. It's one thing to openly acknowledge and thank the sponsors. It's another when an event or whatever is named for them. To me, it just detracts from what the event is all about. A few years ago, I attended a graduation ceremony for a relative at the university I graduated from years ago. The College of Business was now "The Coggin College of Business" (Coggin owns a chain of local car dealers). That just bugs me. It makes me feel like we are a bunch of sell outs.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I generally frown on corporate branding in general. It's one thing to openly acknowledge and thank the sponsors. It's another when an event or whatever is named for them. To me, it just detracts from what the event is all about. A few years ago, I attended a graduation ceremony for a relative at the university I graduated from years ago. The College of Business was now "The Coggin College of Business" (Coggin owns a chain of local car dealers). That just bugs me. It makes me feel like we are a bunch of sell outs.

This is a true story: many years ago I returned to the US after spending my sophomore and juniors years of High School in Germany. In the Airport when we landed back in the states I saw a young man wearing a Tee Shirt with the letters "BUM" on the front.
Seeing this, I turned to my sister and said, "Man, these truth in labeling laws are really getting out of hand . . ." ;)

I was joking of course, but this was the first time I had ever seen anyone wearing Branded clothing. Now it is the norm.

My story has nothing to do with anything in this thread, but your post made me think of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a true story: many years ago I returned to the US after spending my sophomore and juniors years of High School in Germany. In the Airport when we landed back in the states I saw a young man wearing a Tee Shirt with the letters "BUM" on the front.
Seeing this, I turned to my sister and said, "Man, these truth in labeling laws are really getting out of hand . . ." ;)

I was joking of course, but this was the first time I had ever seen anyone wearing Branded clothing. Now it is the norm.

My story has nothing to do with anything in this thread, but your post made me think of it.

Funnily enough, I have a BUM duffel bag. It's really well made, I must say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ahh, BUM equipment clothing. Anyone remember IOU?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jump was canceled..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Anyone get an update on when next jump date?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was moved to Thursday yesterday, but that's not canceled. They are thinking either Sunday or Monday..let's see how long they keep pushing this out before the interest wanes and the jump happens when no one paying attention until it's all done..

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Just found this thread - but I too am looking forward to seeing this happen. Hopefully they'll drop a camera ball with him at the same time so we can at least get some free fall video before he starts entering denser atmosphere

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was just beautiful, well done and congratulations to Felix Baumgartner.

Cant imagine how he felt, standing on the edge of space. No-one else in this world has ever done that and its still hard to fathom the feat he has just accomplished. I didnt get to see it live, as it kept getting put back and @2am i was well untruly asleep. Good to see 8 000 000 odd people had the chance to see history being made live.
Now whats the bet Sir Richard Virgin Branson tries to better the record haha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.