• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

cut the cable questions

Reaction score
I hope this is OK to ask here. I googled 'cut the cord' and tried to find a forum discussion about it and found one here.

So I'm trying to cut the cable. I've got an Xbox so I can stream Netflix and Hulu thru that. At least I think Hulu can come thru the Xbox, I haven't tried it yet there. The problem is CBS shows that aren't on Hulu and I would still like to record shows on TV like regular NFL games and the occasional presidential debate, believe it or not. I looked into TiVo and it looks like they are the solution for recording live OTA shows if I'm willing to pay that additional cost, and also get a digital antenna. I thought their subscription fee covered Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. but apparently not, which frankly I think is pretty misleading on their site.

I do have a Mac, so I've seen you can buy shows like Game of Thrones and CBS shows like Survivor there, but I've no way of getting those iTunes shows on the TV. We actually still have an old CRT which we're waiting for it to die. I've heard that a modern TV you can stream to from a PC/Mac with and HDMI cable.

Any thing else I should consider?

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you look at the thread (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/262366-who-else-has-cut-cable-cord.html) you'll see we discussed a bunch of options and there are members who've actually cut the cord..

As I said in that other thread, it's possible to cut the cable out with a hodgepodge solution that will attempt to fill the gap but fall short in some places..there is just no easy answer to this..by far the biggest thing that takes a hit is usually convenience..having to go to multiple services/devices makes it a drag..

The newer smart TV's support streaming directly (like my Samsung Plasma), so when the day comes that everything I watch will be available through Hulu/Netflix/what have you..I'll cut the cord..

But I imagine that for live things (like my Football games), I'll need a tether of some sort and will never be able to fully replace that..

C

chas_m

I've given up on TV generally (still have my internet obviously). The few TV shows I am interested in, I either buy from iTunes, or watch on apps for the iPad. If it's a show I'm following, I buy the box set DVD when the season's done.

If there were more good live television (I don't follow sports too much so that obviously doesn't count for me), or a total a-la-carte option that cost, let's say, $5/month for each channel I actually want, I'd go back to TV. Otherwise, I think the internet and apps are more than entertaining enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.