lost files

Reaction score
Hey, when I restarted my mac all my files were missing (pics, docs, music, etc) and my desktop was back to default pic. All apps still in tact. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you restarted did you log on to the same account?

C

chas_m

Have you recently tried renaming your home account?

Go to the Users folder and tell us everything that is within that folder.

OP
F
Reaction score
Have you recently tried renaming your home account?

Go to the Users folder and tell us everything that is within that folder.

In "users" is the house icon with a number "1" after it. It does say that it was recently modified. I'm not sure what it was before. Can I restore it if I don't remember what it was before?

C

chas_m

Oh yeah, that could be trouble. Sounds like you accidentally renamed the home folder. If that's the case (we don't know that it wasn't "1" before), try to recall what your login account was called when you last logged in to the computer.

OP
F
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that could be trouble. Sounds like you accidentally renamed the home folder. If that's the case (we don't know that it wasn't "1" before), try to recall what your login account was called when you last logged in to the computer.

Wish I did. How does one change the home folder if I do remember?

OP
F
Reaction score
Lost Files and Recovery

My lost files show up when using a file recovery program. Of course they want a hundred bucks to return them to you. Is there any way that if I can find a hint of my files that I can also detect the home user name they were under?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.