Can Mac Mini be connected to TV wirelessly?

Reaction score
Will this setup work...

MAC MINI
- acts as home computer & wireless server to any iOS devices on my network
- iOS devices can access media securely from anywhere thru data connection. Thus freeing up their HD space
- must mac mini be plugged into modem in home via ethernet or can it get the signal wirelessly? will wireless affect AirPlay functions?
- Mac Mini sends monitor signal to Flat Screen via Apple TV
- This setup allows me to keep my server and backup hidden in my house in case of a burlgary

EXT HARD DRIVE
- SeaGate 1TB external HD is plugged into Mac Mini via USB and is there for the sole purpose of running Time Machine to back up all iOS devices on the network wirelessly.

APPLE TV
- Plugged into TV via HDMI. Able to receive monitor signal from Mac Mini via Air Play or some other wireless app?

OR..... must the Mac Mini be plugged into the TV (via HDMI) in order to use the TV as its monitor?

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Ok, so here is another scenario that Im having trouble figuring out.....

If I dont have all my equipment hidden, and I have the Mac Mini connected to the TV. Can I run AirPlay and other Apple TV functions thru the Mac Mini to the monitor? Can a Mac Mini substitute for a Apple TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have a MacMini set up to my 65" HDTV and use it for all kinds of media. I just have iTunes running and when I want to watch something, I send iTunes into fullscreen mode and hit play. works like a charm. Now, for all the other functions of Apple TV, as far as media goes, it works as well, via Safari or any other browser that will go full screen (for netflix, Hulu...)

the Mac Mini sits neatly in my cabinet with my other AV equipment. I dont think I would use, or even recommend, a wireless connection. doesnt mean it wont work, but I cannot recommend it.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
I have a MacMini set up to my 65" HDTV and use it for all kinds of media. I just have iTunes running and when I want to watch something, I send iTunes into fullscreen mode and hit play. works like a charm. Now, for all the other functions of Apple TV, as far as media goes, it works as well, via Safari or any other browser that will go full screen (for netflix, Hulu...)

the Mac Mini sits neatly in my cabinet with my other AV equipment. I dont think I would use, or even recommend, a wireless connection. doesnt mean it wont work, but I cannot recommend it.

Awesome. Thankyou for the response.

Do all of your AirPlay functions work the same? Can you control iTunes on the MacMini via your iPad or iPhone?

If I later decide to get another MacBook, will I be able to play a video with AirPlay on the MacBook thru the MacMini like I would with a AppleTV unit?

Thanks for the advice on the wireless inquiry. I'd just prefer to have things tucked away and out of sight.

Do you use your MacMini as your server and play all your media from it? Such as watch a movie on your iPad from the library on your MacMini while away from your home?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
All the airplay functions work. I use my iPhone to control it 99% of the time, and when I need to actually log in, I use either the iPad or MBP.

On my MBP I just load up iTunes, connect to home sharing and can then play whatever, but I generally dont, as I dont need to. I have an Apple TV on my other TVs.

The MacMini replaced a dead PC I was using windows Media Server on. It was an elegant solution and infinitely easier setup than Windows Media Server. What is really neat, I leave my iPad on and connected with Apple Remote (app on the app store) and let people choose what to play when I have people over. very cool, and it keeps them from being able to directly access/change my library. Take the time to research the Home Sharing and Airplay - it will do some awesome stuff.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
All the airplay functions work. I use my iPhone to control it 99% of the time, and when I need to actually log in, I use either the iPad or MBP.

On my MBP I just load up iTunes, connect to home sharing and can then play whatever, but I generally dont, as I dont need to. I have an Apple TV on my other TVs.

The MacMini replaced a dead PC I was using windows Media Server on. It was an elegant solution and infinitely easier setup than Windows Media Server. What is really neat, I leave my iPad on and connected with Apple Remote (app on the app store) and let people choose what to play when I have people over. very cool, and it keeps them from being able to directly access/change my library. Take the time to research the Home Sharing and Airplay - it will do some awesome stuff.

Gotcha. Excellent help. Thankyou.

Are you able to access your media thru your iPhone or iPad's data connection?

Say for example you were at a coffee shop, they had free wifi, and you wanted to watch a movie or listen to some music that is on your server (mac mini)..... can you access that media? That would really save me money knowing that i'd never need to buy the 64GB iPhone or iPads.

What is the purpose of the Mac Mini with OS X Server? I assume its simply a bigger HD and processor?

Will my Airport Express still connect to the network via the Mac Mini in the same way it would if it were connected to a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didnt go with the MacMini Server edition simply because the video card (when I got mine in April, things may have changed) used shared memory rather than it's own on-board. I wanted the best video performance. Also, MacMini Server with OSX Server on it is more (in my opinion) for people who are looking for a more affordable server for a small business scenario over going with a Microsoft solution. It is one I would look at for myself if I were to go into business for myself or had more than 4 computers to worry about.

I use an app (there is a client version and server version) called Media Server. It will let you access your media from outside your network. I have it pointed to my iTunes drive. I don't use it often, but i have used it and it is satisfactory. the biggest issue with it is your upstream bandwidth from your house. Keep in mind, if your movie file is 1.5 GB, then that will be 1.5 GB of data you will use.

I have the 64GB iPhone (mostly for music/audiobooks - I have over 200gb worth) and the 32Gb iPad and I only put a few movies/shows that I will want to watch, so even then, I dont fill up a ton of memory. It is all in how you use it.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
I didnt go with the MacMini Server edition simply because the video card (when I got mine in April, things may have changed) used shared memory rather than it's own on-board. I wanted the best video performance. Also, MacMini Server with OSX Server on it is more (in my opinion) for people who are looking for a more affordable server for a small business scenario over going with a Microsoft solution. It is one I would look at for myself if I were to go into business for myself or had more than 4 computers to worry about.

I use an app (there is a client version and server version) called Media Server. It will let you access your media from outside your network. I have it pointed to my iTunes drive. I don't use it often, but i have used it and it is satisfactory. the biggest issue with it is your upstream bandwidth from your house. Keep in mind, if your movie file is 1.5 GB, then that will be 1.5 GB of data you will use.

I have the 64GB iPhone (mostly for music/audiobooks - I have over 200gb worth) and the 32Gb iPad and I only put a few movies/shows that I will want to watch, so even then, I dont fill up a ton of memory. It is all in how you use it.

Thankyou.

Basically the setup Im looking at is this at the moment:

- Mac Mini (acting as home computer & server & apple TV receiver)
- 1TB Ext HD (acting as Time Capsule for Time Machine backing up all my iPhones, iPad3, and a future MacBook Air when I can afford it)

This is a relatively cheap setup at around $1000

Im considering a alternative though. But it involves using a Apple TV. Im wondering what sort of limitations I will face in this alternate scenario by using the Apple TV.

- MacBook Pro
- Time Capsule (for Time Machine to backup everything on the network wirelessly)
- 1TB Ext HD (acting as the server, plugged into the Time Capsule, both of which are hidden away)
- AppleTV

This is a much more expensive setup at around $1700+. It gives me portability and the ability to stow away my server and backup files. But it comes at a price and more importantly, the Apple TV experience might be less than I expect.

If you take price out of the equation, which setup would you go with if you had the choice? Im basically starting from scratch at this point (even though I already own a iPhone and iPad and 2 SuperDrives).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had the MBP longer, but didnt like that I had to leave it on all the time to use iTunes. That is why I went ahead and got a dedicated machine that can run all the time with no adverse affects.

I have a 1TB drive plugged into it for Time Machine backups and a 4TB drive for iTunes (2.75 TB full now).

I would also recommend, when you get a drive for TM, don't use it for anything else. I have used mine to recover my iTunes library when I accidentally deleted it on day. had a minor freak out at first before remembering TM.

If you are looking more for Media Center use, I would go with the MacMini setup first, personally. My MBP is used for video production and personal computing and I am glad I took the media/itunes off. Save some extra money and get an iPad you may find you can do most personal computing on it rather than springing for a laptop. I use my iPad during my commute to and from work and it is a lifesaver. I also take it on trips rather than packing the 17" MBP.

the other nice thing with having iTunes on the Mini always running, I can sync my iPad and iPhone at will and dont have to connect them to the computer. I set a couple movies or shows to copy and then hit sync and go to bed. When I wake up in the morning, new movies on the iPad.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
I had the MBP longer, but didnt like that I had to leave it on all the time to use iTunes. That is why I went ahead and got a dedicated machine that can run all the time with no adverse affects.

I have a 1TB drive plugged into it for Time Machine backups and a 4TB drive for iTunes (2.75 TB full now).

I would also recommend, when you get a drive for TM, don't use it for anything else. I have used mine to recover my iTunes library when I accidentally deleted it on day. had a minor freak out at first before remembering TM.

If you are looking more for Media Center use, I would go with the MacMini setup first, personally. My MBP is used for video production and personal computing and I am glad I took the media/itunes off. Save some extra money and get an iPad you may find you can do most personal computing on it rather than springing for a laptop. I use my iPad during my commute to and from work and it is a lifesaver. I also take it on trips rather than packing the 17" MBP.

the other nice thing with having iTunes on the Mini always running, I can sync my iPad and iPhone at will and dont have to connect them to the computer. I set a couple movies or shows to copy and then hit sync and go to bed. When I wake up in the morning, new movies on the iPad.

That is good advice. I have currently been using the 1TB Ext HD partitioned 500GB/500GB. One half is for Time Machine, the other is my server/secondary backup files. It was for my MacBook Air but Im basically getting that taken away so I have to start over.

I used my MacBook Air for video production as well. I eventually would like to get another. I was planning on giving my gf the MBP in that alternate scenario. But she's totally happy with her iPad and the prospect of having the Mac Mini setup.

An added benefit for the Mac Mini setup Im realizing is that it will be a nice charging station for my chic's iPad 3 and the iPhones.

Quick question.... when you say you dont have to connect the iPad 3 to the computer (Mac Mini), is that because you have them sync'ing wirelessly? Or were you refering to the fact that you dont have to sync them to your MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am syncing them wirelessly. It really is a fire and forget once set up. You will plug them in once for the initial sync, but after that, wont need to be touched.

I would look at a different charging method over using the Mini. I have a dual charger at home my iphone and ipad sit in, since my Macmini is not in my bedroom.

I have all my USB slots taken up with 2 external hard drives (TM and iTunes) and a webcam. Yes, I could put a USB hub, but dont want to clutter the area.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
I am syncing them wirelessly. It really is a fire and forget once set up. You will plug them in once for the initial sync, but after that, wont need to be touched.

I would look at a different charging method over using the Mini. I have a dual charger at home my iphone and ipad sit in, since my Macmini is not in my bedroom.

I have all my USB slots taken up with 2 external hard drives (TM and iTunes) and a webcam. Yes, I could put a USB hub, but dont want to clutter the area.

Is there a specific reason why charging thru the Mac Mini is a bad idea? Other than the fact 4 USB ports arent enough in your case. I guess it wont be enough in mine either.

- SuperDrive
- Ext HD for Time Machine
- Ext HD for Server (pics, music, Video, etc)
- That only leaves one spot for charging/Syncing

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
And another question....

I currently have my MacBook Air backed up to Time Machine. I have to give the MBA up. So I was planning on just getting a identical one and then bringing my data over to it.

But since I am getting a Mac Mini instead, will I be able to do the restore to the Mac Mini just the same as I would if it were another MB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are able to hold on to the MBA until you get the Mini, you could use the Migration Assistant to move your data/settings/apps from the MBA to the Mini. Although, you can pull the data from the TM to the Mini if it comes to that.

I forgot my SuperDrive (I use it as well). All my ports are covered. I use my iPhone as my alarm clock, so I want it in my bedroom. My Mini is across the house. I am not saying you can't use it for charging, I just dont recommend it. I recommend the chargers that came with the devices and plug into the wall. Personal preference, really.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
If you are able to hold on to the MBA until you get the Mini, you could use the Migration Assistant to move your data/settings/apps from the MBA to the Mini. Although, you can pull the data from the TM to the Mini if it comes to that.

I forgot my SuperDrive (I use it as well). All my ports are covered. I use my iPhone as my alarm clock, so I want it in my bedroom. My Mini is across the house. I am not saying you can't use it for charging, I just dont recommend it. I recommend the chargers that came with the devices and plug into the wall. Personal preference, really.

I got absolutely ZERO chance of holding on to the MBA until I get the Mac Mini.

You can read the thread I started yesterday to see the whole saga. Its a mess.

The folks at the Apple Store should be able to help me migrate everything over if I explain all this to them right? Or at the very least I take it to a high end Mac reseller that has some decent techs working in the back?

I cant tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Im thinking I might go with a Time Capsule instead of the 2nd External HD. This will allow me to put the Ext HD & Time Capsule out of sight and with peace of mind. And its only for another $200. The other Ext HD that I could be using is only a 100GB. So it is pretty worthless to run alongside my 1TB and try and mimick the setup you have. I was going to have to upgrade my other Ext HD at a cost of $100 minimum. So for $200 more I get a full 2TB for backing up all the Hard Drives on the network (iphone, ipad, mac mini, future MBA) and it allows me to stash the unit wirelessly. Time Capsule does allow me to do this right? Wirelessly back up all my devices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They should be able to tell you at the Apple Store, and you can search this site as well for how to do it. There are plenty of people who know how and have done it.

Sucks about what happened, I didn't read it or anything, but it would have been very easy to migrate from one to the other.

I have a AirPort Extreme with a drive plugged into it that is my MBP TM drive. Nothing to hold my MBP in place and free to roam. As you said, out of sight out of mind. I do have a seperate drive; 4TB WD NAS device for my data, which is connected to the APEx via Ethernet and it flies.

Good luck with everything. I think you will find it a fun little puzzle getting it all set up and then spend hours tweaking little things and experimenting. I love that part.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
They should be able to tell you at the Apple Store, and you can search this site as well for how to do it. There are plenty of people who know how and have done it.

Sucks about what happened, I didn't read it or anything, but it would have been very easy to migrate from one to the other.

I have a AirPort Extreme with a drive plugged into it that is my MBP TM drive. Nothing to hold my MBP in place and free to roam. As you said, out of sight out of mind. I do have a seperate drive; 4TB WD NAS device for my data, which is connected to the APEx via Ethernet and it flies.

Good luck with everything. I think you will find it a fun little puzzle getting it all set up and then spend hours tweaking little things and experimenting. I love that part.

Yeah, Im having fun putting it all together right now. But its kinda stressful too, its a lot of money to spend. I want to make sure I get exactly what I need for what I want to do.

I thought about getting the Extreme. I would have gotten the Extreme to begin with but I was told by the employee at the Apple Store here in Italy that the Express would allow me to connect a hard drive. I got ****ed on that deal. So my Express is pretty much worthless.

It sure would have saved me some coin had I got the Extreme to begin with, and I'd think about doing it now but the truth is, for the extra $120, I'll take the 2TB that come with it. I need the storage anyways so its a wash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.