MS Office 2010

Reaction score
I have just acquired a MAC Mini to use in a conference room. With a lot of computer illiterate people going to be using it we decided that we also needed to have Windows on it as well. I have installed Parallels desktop 8 on it so that we could use Windows 7 which worked out good. Here's where I started running into problems. We also need to have Microsoft Office installed on the Windows OS. I am trying to install Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 in the Windows 7 OS and I get a message "X:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application".

Will I be able to install this Windows version of Office?

If so, what am I doing wrong?

If not, will the MAC version be available to use from the Windows installation?

Thanks,

Terry Holt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
did you download the office install, or is it on a DVD? You may have to download the setup again, if you did download it. Also, is the Office 64-bit or 32-bit? Is your version of Windows 64-bit or 32-bit?

You cannot use the Mac version on a Windows install.

OP
F
Reaction score
The install package is from a dvd which has the 32 and 64 bit version and Windows is 64 bit. I have tried starting the install from the root of the dvd and from the 64 bit folder with the same results.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am trying to install Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 in the Windows 7 OS and I get a message "Xsetup.exe is not a valid Win32 application".

Are you sure you have a MS Office 2010 32 bit and 64 bit install DVD? My Office 2010 disk is 32 bit and installs just fine in either version of Windows 7. Are you sure you're using the correct setup or install? While in the Windows 7 VM, just insert the Office 2010 CD and the install should start automatically.

OP
F
Reaction score
I copied it to a shared network folder and it is installing from there. I think the problem is that the dvd drive is external and connected via usb to the MAC Mini. The system is either having trouble connecting the external to the vm or I don't have it configured correctly.

Thanks for the input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.