What get a 1TB desktop HD as opposed to a portable?

Reaction score
I need to get a replacement 1TB hard drive for my old Seagate which is starting to die. I am looking at 1TB drives on Amazon. It seems that the portables are, on the whole, cheaper than desktop 1TB drives! Question: is there any reason I'd want to get a desktop then? Is their performance better? I feel like I'm missing something here.....

Reaction score
3.5" drives are far more durable than 2.5". OTOH, having a USB-powered drive is far better if you have any power upsets. It's up to you - I have both.

Reaction score
3.5 durability and better performance, generally speaking. Also noisier, and require a power supply.

2.5 not so durable, somewhat less performance, generally speaking. Also quieter and typically bus powered - plus portable.

If you don't need the portability, and don't care about having to use a power supply, get a non-portable unit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.