SSD advice

Reaction score
Hi all. New here :)

I have a MBP 13" Intel Core 2 Duo (mid 2009). I am looking for some SSD advice. Here are my options:

1. Complete OWC Option - OWC DDMBSSD120 DIY Kit: Data Doubler + 120GB... in stock at OWC

+ SuperSlim enclosure

- 232$ including everything. (shipping & taxes)

2. Samsung 830 / Intel 520 / Intel 320 + Ebay HDD Caddy + MaxUpgrades USB External Enclosure - 205$.

3. Samsung 830 / Intel 520 / Intel 320 + Amazon HDD Caddy + MaxUpgrades USB External Enclosure - 240$.

4. Intel 330 / Crucial M4 + Ebay HDD Caddy + MaxUpgrades USB External Enclosure - 175$.

5. Intel 330 / Crucial M4 + Amazon HDD Caddy + MaxUpgrades USB External Enclosure - 210$.

6. Samsung 830 + Ebay HDD Caddy + MaxUpgrades USB External Enclosure - 170$

7. Get a Crucial M4 256GB for 250$ and replace it with the HDD. No need for the HDD bay and the USB external enclosure for the SuperDrive.

The amazon HDD Caddy looks more reliable than the ebay one, although it costs 35$ more. (shipping costs 40$...)

BTW - I am going to put the SSD in the optical bay, and I understood that a 6G will run as 3G on my system (SATA II motherboards). Is that correct?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
#7 would be cleaner choice you do not have to mess with optic drive, just install it and you will fly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If 256 GB is large enough for your needs, then I agree with ycl. Bear in mind that you should buy large enough to let the drive "breathe" as it writes cache files, although that shouldn't be as critical with SSDs as with HDDs. One other important thing to note is that the more free space you have on an SSD, the longer it will last because the wear-leveling algorithms will have more space to work with.

OP
A
Reaction score
I agree that #7 would be the cleaner choice, but don't forget it's the most expensive option here. it costs 80$ more than the cheapest. Do you think it's worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
you have to consider replacing the current hard drive and replace with SSD. Should you consider buying another mbp near future, the SSD is still usable. It is Sata 3.
With prices coming down on SSD, crucial will lower it prices too, I believe 256Gb price has come down under $200 in US. With larger disk space, you just have to deal with one drive that will save you a lot of grief.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well I can get a SATA 3 SSD and replace it with the optical drive, and it will also be usable in my next MBP.. The bad thing about #7 is that it is more expensive and will give me less space (all the other options - 160+128/120 = 280/288), but it will be easier to install and I won't have to order nothing from out of the country.
Another option will be to order a 256GB SSD from out of the country (which can be cheaper), do you have any recommendations on stores that ship internationally?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I was able to buy one from Ebay in US for $165 (crucial m4 ssd 256GB) New in box. 288gb vs 256GB not much of a difference. If you could wait a little longer maybe 512Gb will be under $350, not sure when.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, but it's not available to my country.. Anyway, what do you think about option #6? Are the things from ebay (Samsung 830 + Optibay enclosure) sounds reliable & with good quality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
samsung ssd is good one, I do not know about the caddy. I have the samsung ssd is a well made ssd, go for it.

OP
A
Reaction score
I thought about it and decided I shouldn't take the risk ordering the SSD from eBay, especially when I can get M4 from my country for the same price. Now it's #7 vs #4. What do you think?

Also, do you know what tools I need to install the external SuperDrive, the optical bay enclosure and the SSD in the enclosure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Not sure about the tools you meant,
1. If you decided to go with m4, it will be only in HD drive, you do not need to replace DVD drive, the m4 should come with adapter to transfer your data to ssd from internal drive.
2. If you go with ssd in hd drive and wants to take out dvd drive and put in the Hd to DVD drive you need the caddy to hold the HD drive in it. Then you convert your DVD parts you take out from Macbook pro to be an external drive, you need the DVD enclosure.
I think if you do not require to remove the DVD drive will be lot cleaner, should you need to then do that later, it is up to you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, if I take a 128GB SSD I am going to be in the optical drive bay, and the HDD will stay in its place. If I take a 256GB, I am going to replace the HDD and the SuperDrive will stay in its place.

I narrowed my options down again:
1. Crucial M4 128GB + eBay SuperSlim&HDD Caddy - 170$
2. Crucial M4 256GB - 250$ (no need to replace the SuperDrive, no need for enclosures)
3. Intel 330 180GB + eBay SuperSlim&HDD Caddy - 190$

Do you have a place where I can get #2 cheaper? If so, I'll definitely gonna get it. If not, which option would you choose?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Right now the price for the Crucial 256GB is competitive. Of course you can always wait for prices to come down but that's unpredictable.

As long as 256GB will suffice for your needs, I would go for it. Keep in mind that with an SSD replacement you do not want to do a clone from your old drive. That is not recommended. A fresh install and restore from a Time Machine backup is the preferred method.

OP
A
Reaction score
Right now the price for the Crucial 256GB is competitive. Of course you can always wait for prices to come down but that's unpredictable.

As long as 256GB will suffice for your needs, I would go for it. Keep in mind that with an SSD replacement you do not want to do a clone from your old drive. That is not recommended. A fresh install and restore from a Time Machine backup is the preferred method.
So you vote #2, even though it's 80$ more expensive than #1?

Thanks for your reply :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, because 128 GB is not enough space unless you intend to run both a normal hard drive and the SSD. You stated you preferred replacing the hard drive with an SSD rather than go the optical drive route. The 256 GB drive gives you more breathing space. A larger SSD (512 GB) would be better but as a practical purchase, they're just simply too expensive right now.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, if I will get a 128GB I am going to replace it with the SuperDrive, so I will have 288GB of space. Although getting a new SSD to replace the HDD is better because the SuperDrive stays and I won't have to use any of the enclosures which can easily stop working.

OP
A
Reaction score
Still haven't chose. Do you know some where I can get 256GB M4 for cheap? (with international shipping)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.