iPhoto Locked?

Reaction score
I just inherited a newer iMac and have used migration assistant to transfer from my older iMac (with many problems). Now when I try to open i Photo I get a message that "it is locked, on locked disc, or I don't have permissions". What does this mean?

john hendrie

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It likely means that a permissions repair is in order.

This can be done from Disk Utility (Macintosh HD >> Applications folder >> Utilities).

Select Macintosh HD in the left column, then the First Aid tab to the right. Run Verify/Repair Permissions.

OP
P
Reaction score
It likely means that a permissions repair is in order.

This can be done from Disk Utility (Macintosh HD >> Applications folder >> Utilities).

Select Macintosh HD in the left column, then the First Aid tab to the right. Run Verify/Repair Permissions.

I have done that on both the hard drive and the external hard drive (my iPhoto was stored on the EHD in my old setup). Neither solved the problem.

Interesting observation - the iPhoto APP is at 3 different revision levels:

Older Mac v 9.2.3
Newer Mac v 7.1.5
EHD v 6.0.6

john hendrie

C

chas_m

So you have three DIFFERENT copies of iPhoto. No wonder you're having issues.

Pick one of them (I'd pick the latest one), and put it in the APPLICATIONS folder where all applications belong. Delete the other two. That should fix the issue after a restart and new permissions repair.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Problem stems from using migration assistant to migrate data from OS X 10.6 to 10.5. You need to get yourself a copy of 10.6, and do a clean install at this point. Then use the migration assistant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.