Airplay - good/ok/problematic/rubbish?

Reaction score
ok. Just to be clear this is a bit of a rant, but not aimed at anyone on here. Just venting my frustration and possibly encouraging some feedback or help in my case.
Firstly, I have used airplay for a number of years, with varying degrees of success.
As of today, I am totally and utterly fed up with the increasing drop-outs I am experiencing.
I have:
iTunes on a 2007 iMac running Snow leopard ( Can't upgrade OS due to Windows XP).
Apple TV2 - just upgraded firmware today.
Airport Extreme
Airport Express
Playing music to my Hi-fi via the Apple TV, as I said is now sporadic.
I wish I knew why.
Some days it's perfect, days like today, I just turned it all off and did something else.
I am running a 5Ghz network to try to eradicate any interference.
Is anyone else as frustrated as I am, or is it just me?
If I can find a solution I would be very happy, otherwise I will have to find something that works most of the time.
Discuss (Please)

C

chas_m

I can't be certain, but the weak link there looks to be the 2007 iMac. How much RAM on that? How full is the HD? Possibly it needs (and I don't normally recommend this, but for this particular case) a defragging?

Any other computers on the same network stealing bandwidth?

OP
N
Reaction score
Hello Chas_m,
iMac has 50% of it's 500Gig hard drive free, and has 4Gig of ram.
By a lot of people's standards, this iMac is very lightly used.
As I said previously, it has worked fine in the past, but as of now it's terrible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Exactly every airplay issue I have had has been because of the device where the media originates. Your network throughput is likely more than sufficient to handle the stream but the sending device has to send it properly.

Just my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's worth running iStumbler to check for nearby wifi conflicts. It's quick and free and if nothing else will rule out something else.

OP
N
Reaction score
It's worth running iStumbler to check for nearby wifi conflicts. It's quick and free and if nothing else will rule out something else.

Hi MrPlow,
If you mean channel conflicts, then I believe I am OK. I am running a 5Ghz network on channel 100 and nobody round here uses that channel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.