Time Capsule on Wireless

Reaction score
I currently have Verizon FIOS and use their modem/router which is upstairs. I purchased a Time Capsule, and I'd like to leave it downstairs and connect it to my existing network. I've tried several things, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is this even possible? If so, are there detailed instructions somewhere?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi,
I've experienced a similar situation,about 4 years ago,and thanks to a very
professional Apple Support assistant it was solved by installing an Airport Express
station midway between the router and the iMac.You'll have to configurate both
Time Capsule and Airport Exprees,of course,in case you opt for this solution.
Good luck and regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You have to give more information on the modem/router. How is it setup? Does it have wireless? Is the modem/router serving dhcp? nat? firewall?

I have a modem, and a separate netgear router - which I use for all of the above. I then have my Time Capsule in bridge mode - serving my wireless network - so yes you can have a time capsule on a network that already has a router. But setup can vary greatly. For example if you want to be able use the guest network capability of the Time Capsule then it has to be the dhcp server (so I don't have the capability)

Also - it would help to know what you have tried and any errors you got.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks! Right now I have an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev F that wirelessly serves my entire house. It's located in the upstairs office. I'm using a MacBook Pro 2011 running Mountain Lion.

I've plugged in the 2TB Time Capsule downstairs, and tried to add it to the network wirelessly. It just keeps timing out, but that is likely because I don't know what I'm doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I'm taking from your post that your internet cable comes into a modem and then to a wireless router (or maybe it is a combo modem/router.). Is that correct? Is your TC connected to the first router with a wired connection?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.