Time Capsule or Ext Hard Drive

Reaction score
I'm interested in maybe getting a Time Capsule and updating my router at the same time but in doing a search of these forums, it seems that many people are having problems with their Time Capsules.

I can't seem to find anything on somebody hard wiring their Time Capsule to their iMac and letting it back up through Time Machine via a hard connection instead of over wi-fi. It seems that when TC backs up via wi-fi, it slows the network down.

I'd like to ask some questions and if you know the answer, please respond to which ever question to can.

1. Can you connect the TC via an ethernet cable and have the TC back up that way or does it only back up via wi-fi?
2. Can you set a time when the data is backed up or does the system somehow select a time?
3. Does the TC back up when the computer falls asleep or must the cimputer be awake?
4. If I just buy an extenral hard drive and connect it via thunderbolt, is there anything different in the process that I need to be aware of?
5. If I use an external hard drive, I won't be connecting it via an ethernet cable so is there anything to keep in mind with this set up?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm interested in maybe getting a Time Capsule and updating my router at the same time but in doing a search of these forums, it seems that many people are having problems with their Time Capsules.

One thing I can definitively say is…I have not had any problems with my Time Capsule!:)

One very important thing to keep in mind is…this is an internet forum…where many folks go to post questions about problems or issues they may have with their product. And that this proportion of folks posting questions (in many cases) is a minuscule proportion of the overall number of folks who own the same exact product…and are having absolutely no problems (let's say 98-99% of folks within the same product have absolutely no issues)!:)

Wouldn't this be a pretty boring place if those 98-99% of folks with Time Capsules only posted:

- My Time Capsule Runs Great!:)
- etc. etc.

Get the idea!;)

- Nick

p.s. As to your other questions. I have not explored those possibilities. I simply have my Time Capsule connected to my cable modem via ethernet cable…and all computer interfacing with the Time Capsule is via WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD
my MacPro is connected by ethernet and it usually backs up in evening

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.