Is the 128gb Macbook Air big enough?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post so if I'm in the wrong spot, I'm sorry. I'm looking at getting a new laptop soon, as my Lenovo is just hanging in there by a thread. Being surrounded by friends who use Macs at college, I have grown to adore the OS, among many other things. I have decided that I want a Macbook Air 13" but I have a question: Is the 128gb model enough? My needs are pretty simple, I doubt I will have more than 20gb of music anytime soon, and I dont do photo or video editing really at all. I HAVE to dual-boot though. My classes require Office including One Note & Access, and are only taught from the perspective of the Windows 7 layout. I wont really need anything more on a Windows 7 (64 bit obviously) partition than the OS, browser, MS Office, and I guess Anti-virus, as I dont do much gaming. Also, I have a 1TB external HDD that I am perfectly content to use, though I do want my music onboard, on the Mac partition. So in the end, it just comes down to 128gb vs 256gb, I can afford the extra few hundred dollars, but would vastly prefer not to spend them. Thanks a bunch, and sorry for the essay. Also, I plan on keeping this thing until it falls apart.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If I were dual-booting (or even running in virtualization, which is what I'd recommend in your case), I would definitely go with the 256GB. You do not want to run tight on space on an OS X system partition, as it will slow the machine down dramatically.

You can always upgrade later, but it's not a simple process. I would just spend the money up-front and go with the larger disk.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy the 256 GB drive, you won't regret spending the money. But I can guaranty that you will regret not getting it when you run out of space. What's the sense in buying a MBA if you have to drag around an external hard drive with you all the time?

If the $$ are tight, go with the MacBook Pro 13" machine instead. Larger hard drive, more memory (and upgradeable). Same graphics chipset and just about the same size only a bit heavier. And it also includes an optical drive which can be replaced later on with an SSD.

OP
C
Reaction score
Alright, I really appreciate the input. It's looking like I'll probably go with the 256 when the time comes. Thanks ya'll. Also, if either of you have some input, would the upgrade to 8gb of ram be worth it? Even though I generally just do internet, music, word, etc, my lenovo is 4gb ram (but not SSD storage) and rarely has more then a few hundred megs to spare, making me think the upgrade is worth it. Hope ya'll can get back to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I have a 13" MBA with a 128GB SSD. Along with OSX 10.8 I have installed small 25GB Win7 VM with most of Office 2010 (Office, Vision, Project, etc...) for work. With a moderate iTunes Library (20GB) and some iPhoto (15GB) and home video stuff (1GB). Remaining is about 35GB of free space. It's enough for me, but maybe not everyone. The only thing I regret is not having 8GB of RAM. My 1TB drive attached to my Mac Mini and which I access via my network holds all overflow media. YMMV

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.