iTunes From the Ground Up

Reaction score
Hi all, if I'm goint to make a first post, I may as well make it a good one, right?

I haven't seen any requirements for first time posters having to submit a joke, DNA sample or incriminating nude photo, so I'm going to assume that it's ok for me to just jump in with both feet.

My house, like many I'm sure, has enough i products to start a Mac store, so managing iTunes accounts can be a challenge at the best of times. Me, being the quivering coward that I am with regards to iTunes and the fear of losing everything while syncing, simply doesn't do it. I manage my apps directly on my iPhone, never sync, and charge with the wall plug. And I was happy enough doing it, until today when I had to upgrade to iOS 6. To make the room on my iPhone, I deleted podcasts and music that I want back.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. I have a fresh install of iTunes on my business computer downstairs. As yet, it has none of my music or podcasts on it, those are on my netbook and personal computer upstairs. I want to create a NEW iTunes account, strictly for myself, on my downstairs computer. I want to transfer all my music, podcasts and apps to that computer and account. Also, I want to set up my new iTunes so that when I connect my iPhone, it syncs everything manually, I do not want to lose anything off my iPhone. Can this be done? If so, HOW?

Please, feel free to dumb it down as much as possible, speak slow and use small words, I'm pretty weak in this field.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You cannot simply make a new iTunes account and then transfer music/movies/apps to it that were purchased with a different account. You can't do it at all.

What you should do is pick one computer to sync your stuff to. Set up iTunes with the account you used to buy your existing stuff (unless you want to make a new account and re-buy it all), then plug it in and sync it. You can do it wirelessly... just enable the option in iTunes to sync over wi-fi.

If you want, you can create a new iTunes account to purchase future items, and continue to use the existing ones with the existing account. You will have to update those old ones using the old account name/password as updates are made available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.