Recording from the BBC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I still have a radio incorporating a tape cassette recorder, with which I used to be able to record direct from the radio up to 2 hours of stuff. Unfortunately the cassette mechanism is damaged. Until digital came along it was possible to record radio to a DVD recorder with a TV tuner.

Since the advent of digital TV this no longer seems to be easy to do.

The BBC is concerned about copyright so that it is difficult now to record music programmes.

Is there are a legitimate way to record without having to pay a monthly subscription?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Can't you just use the catch up service from iPlayer or many of the BBC radio sites let you listen again for a week or more.

Also if the program is published as a podcast, you can download it through iTunes and keep it as long as you like

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
There is a way but we aren't allowed to tell you due to being able to record copyrighted material for free. Don't want to get Mac Forums in trouble!

Honestly it's quite complicated to set up and requires multiple program downloads and audio routing knowledge so I'm not sure you would even consider it worth it anyway.

C

chas_m

If we're talking about BBC Radio, you can listen to any radio show you like on the service for up to seven days after it has aired. BBC does not block their radio service in any fashion.

If we're talking about the TV service, by far the best way to enjoy it (assuming you are outside the UK) is through a subscription to the global BBC iPlayer. It costs $90 a year (a pittance compared to what you get IMO), what's that $7.50 a month? A great value for money.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Downloading permanently from radio

If we're talking about BBC Radio, you can listen to any radio show you like on the service for up to seven days after it has aired. BBC does not block their radio service in any fashion.

If we're talking about the TV service, by far the best way to enjoy it (assuming you are outside the UK) is through a subscription to the global BBC iPlayer. It costs $90 a year (a pittance compared to what you get IMO), what's that $7.50 a month? A great value for money.

I am in UK and TV isn't a problem as you can legitimately record using a DVD recorder. I get BBC radio podcasts for free but, for copyright reasons, these only include short music excerpts.

It looks as if the only legitimate way round this is either to get my radio cassette recorder repaired and buy a gadget that converts recordings to mp3s or, if there is such a thing, buy an all-in-one radio/cassette player/CD player/mp3 player that will do the job.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Recording from radio in UK

Can't you just use the catch up service from iPlayer or many of the BBC radio sites let you listen again for a week or more.

Also if the program is published as a podcast, you can download it through iTunes and keep it as long as you like

Thanks. I already do the last but, for copyright reasons, Auntie will only let you have short music excerpts on its podcasts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I am in UK and TV isn't a problem as you can legitimately record using a DVD recorder. I get BBC radio podcasts for free but, for copyright reasons, these only include short music excerpts.

It looks as if the only legitimate way round this is either to get my radio cassette recorder repaired and buy a gadget that converts recordings to mp3s or, if there is such a thing, buy an all-in-one radio/cassette player/CD player/mp3 player that will do the job.

I used to record BBC radio using a Sony Mini System which had a Mini-Disk Player and Recorder as part of the set-up. It wasn't your usual separates set up but it did the job. I used to listen to the discs either on the set-up or on my portable Sharp Mini-Disc Player and recorder which would probably have accepted a line from a radio or have been hooked onto other amplification and recording gear if you had wanted to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.