Selling iPhone 4S for 5?

Reaction score
I have a 2 year contract with AT&T for my iPhone 4S with apple care plus, so far it's been a year. Could I sell my iPhone to apple and buy the new one or what?

Reaction score
to be honest i wouldn't change from iphone 4s to iphone 5 since it doesnt change too much, but if you had an iphone 3gs or 3g i would definatly change it. So why dont you wait till the iphone 5s comes out (im guessing apple will do that in march)

C

chas_m

I think Minecraft is going to be very disappointed come March.

He also needs to read up a little more on what's changed on the new iPhone 5. The list is actually quite extensive.

As to whether it is WISE to sell the iPhone 4S and upgrade to the iPhone 5, that depends quite heavily on what you can get for the iPhone 4S (Apple does not buy them back, nor does your carrier) by selling it, and how much it will cost you to get out of your contract a year early (hint: not cheap most likely). You will also then be obligated to an all-new two year contract, so you may want to consider that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In addition to everything "chas_m" has said, you need to know how far along you are in your 2 year contract since switching over to the iPhone 5 would start a new 2 year contract and end your current one with the early termination fee. So give AT&T a buzz and figure out how that's going to play out as well.

You can always sell the iPhone 4S privately, but being under contract and locked makes it less valuable unless you can find someone (a family member) to take over your contract..

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
In addition to everything "chas_m" has said, you need to know how far along you are in your 2 year contract since switching over to the iPhone 5 would start a new 2 year contract and end your current one with the early termination fee. So give AT&T a buzz and figure out how that's going to play out as well.

You can always sell the iPhone 4S privately, but being under contract and locked makes it less valuable unless you can find someone (a family member) to take over your contract..

Sold my old iPhone 4S. Got an iPhone 5 with new 2 year contract and a new iPad wifi + 4G. Was still under contact. Managed to get the phone for 200 bundled with the iPad.

Sold my wifi iPad too. ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sold my old iPhone 4S. Got an iPhone 5 with new 2 year contract and a new iPad wifi + 4G. Was still under contact. Managed to get the phone for 200 bundled with the iPad.

Sold my wifi iPad too. ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ

Which carrier do/did you have?

Reaction score
I gather from a techie friend in the States that quite of few of his acquaintances tried the 5 and have opted to go back to the 4S. I've no used either so I don't have a view, but it is interesting.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I gather from a techie friend in the States that quite of few of his acquaintances tried the 5 and have opted to go back to the 4S. I've no used either so I don't have a view, but it is interesting.

Judging by the number that was announced on Monday, over 5 million people bought the iPhone 5, so there are certainly a large number of people satisfied with it. But each to their own, so if a few return to the older model. OK. Most, if not all, of the complaints from people have been targeting iOS 6 and not necessarily iPhone 5.

Reaction score
Many people pre-ordered the phone, and almost all others bought it blind. That doesn't imply active choice. I was told that several people of my friend's acquaintance got their 5's that way - blind - but after they'd tried them decided they won't keep them. That wouldn't work in the UK as once you've bought it it's yours unless it's faulty, but from my observation things seem to work differently in the US. But you may well be right about iOS6.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you are saying that you've heard at best 3rd hand remarks that several (how many is that actually?) don't like the iPhone..fine..comparing JUST the phones..the iPhone 5 does everything the iPhone 4S did and more and better and faster. There is not a SINGLE thing that was in the iPhone 4S that is missing in iPhone 5. If anything, the iPhone 5 is faster, it has dual band WiFi, 4G LTE support and so on...

Now if the issues are with iOS 6, as I stated, that affects all supported phones from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 5 and is an entirely separate discussion (and fixable with an update)..

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
which carrier do/did you have?

at&t.

Many people pre-ordered the phone, and almost all others bought it blind. That doesn't imply active choice. I was told that several people of my friend's acquaintance got their 5's that way - blind - but after they'd tried them decided they won't keep them. That wouldn't work in the UK as once you've bought it it's yours unless it's faulty, but from my observation things seem to work differently in the US. But you may well be right about iOS6.

You have 30 days from the date of purchase to return. Well that's with AT&T not sure how other carries or companies handle that.

Reaction score
So you are saying that you've heard at best 3rd hand remarks that several (how many is that actually?) don't like the iPhone

No, secondhand. My friend is in direct touch with the (five) people concerned. But whatever - it was just an observation not intended to be an insult to anyone's life and parentage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.
No, secondhand. My friend is in direct touch with the (five) people concerned. But whatever - it was just an observation not intended to be an insult to anyone's life and parentage.

Mate that is funny, ha ha yea sometimes it does feel that you cant make a comment without being put firmly in your place by one of the staff members... after all it's your opinion (even if its a first second or third hand info) it can still have a place here... it's up to the readers to decide if they want to ignore the comment or not, general gossip is not outlawed.

Personally I agree with the staff on this matter I cant see how the 4s can be better than the 5 in anyway. It has every bit of functionality the 4s had and its lighter, better built, feels better quality and the increase in screen size is spot on.. better camera lighting ect ect, probably is I06 related or they are just switching back for no better reason than they dont want to justify the cost of upgrading and dont see a significant difference and want to save the costs.... end of the day we are consumers so the choice is ours.

but hey no worries you have not offended my life or parentage in your post, quite the opposite you have given me a laugh....

Have a good day all

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mate that is funny, ha ha yea sometimes it does feel that you cant make a comment without being put firmly in your place by one of the staff members... after all it's your opinion (even if its a first second or third hand info) it can still have a place here... it's up to the readers to decide if they want to ignore the comment or not, general gossip is not outlawed.

On the contrary, we welcome opinions from everyone and any subject matter that they want to discuss as long as it doesn't violate the community guidelines..opinions on certain subjects are usually a touchy matter as there are many members in this forum who are very devoted to Apple as a whole and many other members who take no particular stance but enjoy using Apple products and wish to talk about them here..

I personally welcome varying opinions as it does make the conversation more interesting to read about different perspectives, but they only add to the discussion when they are your opinion. I've generally found that hearsay never tends to add anything real to the discussion..

But as you put it..to each their own..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just FYI:

Someone reporting they did "x" is first hand knowledge.
Someone reporting they know someone that did "x" is second hand.
Someone reporting they know someone that knows someone that did "x" is third hand.

:)

Reaction score
you have to deal with at&t since you have contract they suppose to change your 4s to iphone 5 as soon as your contract ends but you can try to do so with the customer services.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't recommend doing over the phone. It's hit and miss a lot of the time.

C

chas_m

It's a pity none of the five people involved could explain what it was about the 5 that they didn't like ... odd, really ...

As was pointing out earlier, there is *nothing* the iPhone 4S has that the iPhone 5 doesn't have more/better of ... that they didn't mention any particular reason seems really ... peculiar ...

Reaction score
It wasn't (as I understand it) that they didn't like the new phone, they just didn't think the upgrade was worth the cost - to them.

C

chas_m

Ah well now that's certainly a factor ... it's expensive to break a contract after only one year, no matter who you're with. They can console themselves that they will likely be eligible for an iPhone 5S (or 6, or whatever) when it comes out next year (or the year after depending on whether they're in Canada or not ... blankety-blank three year contracts ...)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.