Linksys Wireless WUSB11 2.6 and Macs

J

Jose

Is it possible to use the Linksys Wireless WUSB11 adapter in a Mac? I went to the Linksys page but they only have drivers for Windows. I really need to set up the network adapter to a Mac, so if there's any way, please tell me, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Nope there is no way to use linksys wireless adapters on the macs themselves. You can connect to any linksys wireless network but you can't use any of the linksys adapters

OP
J

Jose

Okay, so you can't use Linksys adapters...

...but you can connect to a Linksys network. Bad news and good news. Anyway, which wireless card should I use for the Mac to connect to the Linksys network? And which software? They're bringing a G5 for video making and editing and I need to put it in network with the rest of the WIndows-based PCs.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the only card i am aware of that you can use with the G5 is apples airport extreme card which can connect to the networks

OP
J

Jose

Yes, the Airport...

So, it will connect to the Linksys network with no problem? Because if that's the case then I might convinve my boss to buy one, but if he does and it doesn't work, he'll kill me. :-( I've also read about third-party drivers that can make Linksys cards work on the Mac. Is that true?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the airport wiill have zero problems connecting to the linksys im on it right now with a linksys network. i dont think there are any third party drivers that could work since there arent usb network adapters for apples

OP
J

Jose

Well, that's great news. You say that there are no USB network adapter for apples? Those are news to me, but then again, I've never worked with Macs before. I can guess it's a internal card, then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea you can get it at apple.com or any authorized apple retailer

OP
O

Oriflamme

I am faced with quite a similar problem. I have a linksys wireless router which is linked to 3 PC computers. But I too have a G3 I Book which I tried using linksys wireless USB adapter to connect to the network. It failed though. I was thinking.. If I bought the apple extreme wireless card, will it be able to link to the other PC's and surf the net too? That way I need not burn stuff to transfer to the apple and unzip it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oriflamme said:
I am faced with quite a similar problem. I have a linksys wireless router which is linked to 3 PC computers. But I too have a G3 I Book which I tried using linksys wireless USB adapter to connect to the network. It failed though. I was thinking.. If I bought the apple extreme wireless card, will it be able to link to the other PC's and surf the net too? That way I need not burn stuff to transfer to the apple and unzip it.

First off I don't think that the G3 iBook is compatible with airport extreme cards just the original.

Secondly YES with the airport card you would have no problems accessing the Linksys network and sharing files between the macs and pcs and accessing the internet. My setup right now is a linksys wireless with 4 pc's wireless and my powerbook g4 with airport card hooked into the router as well as wireless most of the time.

OP
O

Oriflamme

trpnmonkey41 said:
First off I don't think that the G3 iBook is compatible with airport extreme cards just the original.

Secondly YES with the airport card you would have no problems accessing the Linksys network and sharing files between the macs and pcs and accessing the internet. My setup right now is a linksys wireless with 4 pc's wireless and my powerbook g4 with airport card hooked into the router as well as wireless most of the time.

So you mean I can never hook up to my PC wireless network unless I get a G4 PowerBook? That is a real pity.. Looks like I have to let it sit around without an internet connection.. :) But I remember that there is a 10/100 ethernet cable @ the router. Is it possible then to hook up the I book via the cable direct to the router.. ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oriflamme said:
So you mean I can never hook up to my PC wireless network unless I get a G4 PowerBook? That is a real pity.. Looks like I have to let it sit around without an internet connection.. :) But I remember that there is a 10/100 ethernet cable @ the router. Is it possible then to hook up the I book via the cable direct to the router.. ?

No you can hook up to a wireless network just not with a Airport Extreme card. You can get a regular aiport card and that will work just fine.

You can also just hook the iBook directly into the router and connect that way

OP
O

Oriflamme

trpnmonkey41 said:
No you can hook up to a wireless network just not with a Airport Extreme card. You can get a regular aiport card and that will work just fine.

You can also just hook the iBook directly into the router and connect that way

Thanks.. But what are the differences? Thanks..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airport Extreme is 802.11g which is 54 mbps at up to 50 ft range
Airport is 802.11b (the most common wireless format) which is 11mbps at up to 150 ft range

OP
O

Oriflamme

trpnmonkey41 said:
Airport Extreme is 802.11g which is 54 mbps at up to 50 ft range
Airport is 802.11b (the most common wireless format) which is 11mbps at up to 150 ft range

I am now using my I Book to write this article. I've used the ethernet cable to hook up the I book to my router. Thanks.. Anyway.. Roughly how much will the Airport cost? I am afraid that it will not be compatiable with my router.. Many thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Oriflamme said:
I am now using my I Book to write this article. I've used the ethernet cable to hook up the I book to my router. Thanks.. Anyway.. Roughly how much will the Airport cost? I am afraid that it will not be compatiable with my router.. Many thanks...

The original Airport card is roughly $80 (slightly less for the refurbished ones). You shouldn't have any problems at all connecting to your router. I'm writing this right now connected through Airport to a Linksys wireless router - the signal strength is even better than it was with my old PC laptop and Linksys wireless PC card.

OP
O

Oriflamme

Padawan said:
The original Airport card is roughly $80 (slightly less for the refurbished ones). You shouldn't have any problems at all connecting to your router. I'm writing this right now connected through Airport to a Linksys wireless router - the signal strength is even better than it was with my old PC laptop and Linksys wireless PC card.

Wow.. That's good news.. But $80 is in US dollars or.. Singapore $$?? It makes quite a bit of diff.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Oriflamme said:
Wow.. That's good news.. But $80 is in US dollars or.. Singapore $$?? It makes quite a bit of diff.. :)

$80 US. According to Apple's Singapore site, it looks like it's $148 SGD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.