External storage

Reaction score
Im after a new storage device to go with my brand spanking new mac. I've been reading reviews of several external HDs and I'm not sure which manufacturer to trust or believe in (my last seagate drive gave up the ghost but did last a while). I only really want 1TB at most.

Any recommendations? The freecom HDs seem to get decent reviews.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD
Weestern Digital Green drive is way to go....

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I think I've HD's from all the manufacturers through time..Samsung, Hitachi, Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital..I'm currently using Hitachi drives in my NAS and one of them started having SMART errors after almost 4 years of constant usage and I replaced them with newer (and larger) Hitachi drives.

I think you can have issues with any of the vendors out there and have just as much probability of having no issues with them as well..

I've been mainly using cost as my buying factor these days. Unless you ABSOLUTELY need it, avoid the 10k drives. Also avoid 5400 cause it's overall slow performance.

I'm not sure going with a WD driver at 1TB costing $130 is way better than the 1TB Hitachi I bought reecntly for $70..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.