Airport extreme wireless printing problems

Reaction score
Three days ago I purchased an Airport Extreme. We have two iPads, a windows laptop and a windows desktop attached to the Airport via Ethernet cable. Also an HP110 wireless printer, scanner, copier. I replaced the Time Warner wireless router with the Airport Extreme. Signal strength is excellent however the printer will not print. I have made the necessary connection using the WEP password and the printer as well as the IPads shows the printer is connected. The laptop is connected wirelessly to the Airport however on the laptop it shows in the HP is not connected. When I try to print using the IPad a message pops up and states the printing job is being sent to the printer however nothing happens. I have rebooted th router and printer several times with no success. The TW router worked perfectly. Any suggetions ?? Thnks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First, you'll want to switch over to WPA security. WEP is long-dead and offers no real security whatsoever as it can be broken in minutes with readily available tools (if you don't believe me, Google "crack WEP"). WPA is much easier to use and is well supported by any device made after 2004.

It sounds as though your printer isn't picking up a new IP address on the range that is supplied by the Airport router. This is likely due to the printer being configured with a static IP (which is actually the best approach - it's just that the IP needs to be updated for the new DHCP scope). Probably the simplest way to do this is to do a "cold reset" on the printer so that it reverts to factory defaults and then you can do the setup on it as though it were just taken out of the box. Check your manual or HP's support site for details on how to do a cold reset. You'll then need to remove and re-add the printer on your client PCs/Mac(s).

Alternatively, if you're savvy with the printer controls, you may be able to reset the network settings on the HP. This will require specific knowledge of the printer's menu system - but since I don't have the exact model number, I'm not sure precisely how and where to advise you to make the changes necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.