• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just because it's reasonable doesn't mean it's possible

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The SIM card reader went out on my iPad2. I made a Genius Bar appt and they quickly came to the same conclusion. Not a repairable condition so they authorized a replacement as I am still under warranty (purchased AppleCare). And, since they didn't have any in stock (64GB 3G model) had to order a replacement, delivery in a few days.

Here is where it gets a bit surreal to my way of looking at things. It is about an 80 mile round trip for me to go to the Apple Store says I, how about I pay an upgrade price and you give me a new version iPad.
The store declined, so I called AppleCare, was bumped to a Senior Adviser and then told to go back and talk to a manager at the store. Manager listened sympathetically, but declined so I called Apple again.

Bottomline: no matter how reasonable it might seem, they don't have a way to let me give them more of my money instead of getting a "like new" model for free. We never did discuss what would be a fair credit toward a new purchase; I am a fairly reasonable person, but the price wasn't an issue, there wasn't an approved policy they could use to do the transaction.
Strange!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
reminds me of the time when Apple stores didn't take cash. then they realized they needed to and now they take cash again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry to hear about that. Seems like they should have been willing to do something for you…considering the effort it took to get to the Apple Store…especially since it was a "warranty situation".

Congrats that it happened while still under warranty…and Apple agreed that it was a warranty covered repair!:)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear about that. Seems like they should have been willing to do something for you…considering the effort it took to get to the Apple Store…especially since it was a "warranty situation".

Congrats that it happened while still under warranty…and Apple agreed that it was a warranty covered repair!:)

- Nick

Yeah . . . It was strange. The second time I called and they bumped me up, the senior adviser spent quite a bit of time calling around, and then he finally apologized saying they just didn't have a way to do it. Very odd.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Weeks and Counting

I'm very glad I didn't hand over my iPad and have them ship me a replacement! It has now been two weeks and still isn't in (I dropped by the store this weekend and they said nope, and they would call when it got in).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"Don't call us, we'll call you." Now, where have I heard that before? :p

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Somebody at Apple must have read this. About ten minutes after I posted, my wife got a call for me to come in and pick up my replacement tomorrow.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to normal

Got the replacement and restored my backup to it. Everything seems to be working fine . . . just wish I could have upgraded to that Retina display.;P

Oh well . . . maybe next year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.