iPhone 5 - 16 GB or 32 GB

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble deciding between the 16 gb and 32 gb models. Right now I have an iPad with a handful of games (PvZ, Containment, Plague, Inc) and am mostly interested in an iPhone so I can connect to FB and email on the go, text, and do some light gaming.

Ultimately I expect to have more apps on the iPhone than I do on my iPad. Currently I'm using up 4 GB on the iPad before music and movies. Since I have an iPod NaNo I wasn't planning on using the iPhone for music.

So do you guys think 16 GB will be enough for me? I'm only able to afford phone upgrades when my contract with Sprint comes up, so I'd really appreciate insight and personal experiences.

Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm having some trouble deciding between the 16 gb and 32 gb models. Right now I have an iPad with a handful of games (PvZ, Containment, Plague, Inc) and am mostly interested in an iPhone so I can connect to FB and email on the go, text, and do some light gaming.

Ultimately I expect to have more apps on the iPhone than I do on my iPad. Currently I'm using up 4 GB on the iPad before music and movies. Since I have an iPod NaNo I wasn't planning on using the iPhone for music.

Let's look things this way:

- iPhone 3, 4, 5...16gig or 32gig?
- iPod Touch 2, 3, 4, 5...16gig or 32gig??
- iPad 1, 2, or 3...16gig or 32gig??

This question has been asked to death for years & years!!:(

Luckily for you:)...you have an iPad...and you're currently only using 4gig of it's storage. So you should be an a great situation to judge/estimate your own storage needs.

Also remember. If you get an iPhone 5...how long are you going to keep it? Till the iPhone 6 comes out next year...or the iPhone 7 comes out in 2 years??? This would mean that you only "need to survive" with the iPhone 5's storage capacity for 1-2 years.

I think that considering that you have an iPad...and only 4gig is currently being used...you have all the info you need (of your own storage needs) to make a decision (16 or 32gig).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
I've always had the 32GB iPhone, filled with loads of music, games etc. The vast majority I never used or listened to. In future I'm going to go for the 16GB and just load the stuff that I need - should the need arise, I can always load anything back from iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
I had a 16g iphone4, didn't have a lot of space to play around with between apps, music, and photos, I went to a 32g Iphone 4s and now I have plenty of space with 1065 songs, 239 photos, & 74 apps and still have over 17g of space, I have space for videos if I want to put some on. it is a matter of personal preferance on what you want to have or able to put on your iphone. but if you want a suggestion I would suggest the 32g Iphone.

Reaction score
look the apps isn't that big deal to get 32 gbs for it if you gonna sync alot of music and pictures then you can consider the 32 but I think your usage wont excees 16 gbs cause you want apps beside your personal use which wont consume a lot of capacity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
look the apps isn't that big deal to get 32 gbs for it if you gonna sync alot of music and pictures then you can consider the 32 but I think your usage wont excees 16 gbs cause you want apps beside your personal use which wont consume a lot of capacity.

This.

I currently have a 16GB iPhone 4, but I will be trading up to a 32GB iPhone 5 soon. I like to have a lot of photos and music on me at all times. I use Instagram a lot and use the iPod on my phone for my 30 minute commute each way to/from work every day. So I like to have a wide variety of music and just put it on shuffle.

As Nick mentioned, it depends on your needs so really only you can make the ultimate decision. But those are some things to consider when making your decision. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11 inch 2012, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4S(soon to be iphone5), iPad 4g/wifi.
My 4S is 16 GB and my iPhone 5 will be 16GB as well. I haven't run out of memory yet, but I also don't have every single app I own on there either. I rotate them through- I get bored easily.

C

chas_m

FWIW I would recommend the 32GB.

If you're REALLY only ever going to use the smartphone for very light duty (checking Facebook, a few games, email, iMessage etc) then you can certainly get a 16GB.

But what's much more likely to happen once you have a phone that can do so many cool things is that you will start using it as an entertainment hub, an iPod, a photo library and maybe even videos (they're surprisingly good on that "little" screen with the headphones on!). If you think that's a possibility, you'll thank me for recommending the 32GB.

Choosing the larger size also increases the resale value.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
64 GB is it for me. I have music, this is my iPod. I have photos, I am a photographer. Not to mention books and movies. My iPad is 64 GB as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Go big or go home! lol
I am coming from an jailbroken iPhone 3G (8GB) to a soon iPhone 5 (32GB). I'd rather have too much room than not enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.