Network and internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
slot imac700 with external DVD
I'm having an old age moment!!!

I used to have two emacs....one wired to a router and another using a wireless dongle. I had is set up so that I could use the internet on the remote emac via the dongle and I set up a network so that on the remote, I could access all the files on the hard wired emac. I also set up the printers so that I could print from the remote emac.

I invested in a second hand imac ...removed the hard wired emac and replaced it with the new imac...the remote emac continued to work (altho I now suspect that altho the imac was plugged in to the router, I was in fact picking the router up with airport turned on).

All was fine until I replaced the imac with a newer model. I cloned the new one to the old one using carbon copy cloner...great...all my apps and files were there so I unplugged the older imac and put the new one in its place.

Got everything working again....went to the emac (the one with the dongle) and now cannot connect to the internet or see my files on the imac.I've messed about with the settings for several hours without success and its driving me nuts. Should I have airport on the imac on or off? If its on, presumably it picks up the router via wifi even if its plugged in. So should I turn it off? Presumably the emac is supposed to get wifi from the router but when I try to connect it says ip configuration 192.168.2.40 in use by 00:1b:63:b3:4a:dd

Presumably there is the seperate problem of not being able to see my files on the imac from the remote emac but I guess unless I get the wifi working, it is not going to see the imac. I renamed the new mac as iMac...does this make a difference.

I've spent all night trying to work this out and getting most frustrated....any pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
Geoff Coulson

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.